09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Wow. I have been accepted into the finals of a poetry contest. Yes, a fourteen year old in the poetry finals for a poem I forgot about. My teacher liked it last year when I wrote it for school and entered it for me and I just got a letter today saying I was accepted and will be published into the Summer 2005 hardbound anthology, A Celebration of Young Poets. I'm so excited. The poem is an I Am poem and part of it was dedicated to my friend Melissa when she went through hard times. Here it is.
I Am
I am Evan
I wonder if I will get very far in life the way I am now
I hear what people say about me, but I just smile and turn away
I see inside people, and understand who they are instead of what they are
I want people to see as I do, looking beyond the skin
I am hurt
I pretend to be okay, but something hides deep inside of me
I feel pain every time I have high hopes
I touch other people's minds and hearts, showing them it's okay to show yourself for who you are
I worry about everyone and anyone, whether they are friend or foe, because I know it's right
I cry on the inside, never letting it out as men have always done
I am your friend
I understand what you are going through as I have a battle inside
I say it's okay, not giving any hints of my problems because I want to help you
I dream what will happen if I am not here, but I know I can't be God
I try to be there, trying to find a way passed the defences that protect your own secrets
I hope I am not at fault and that it will all be okay; don't worry, because
I am here.
There may be typoes, I don't care, I just typed it real quick for you guys.
I Am
I am Evan
I wonder if I will get very far in life the way I am now
I hear what people say about me, but I just smile and turn away
I see inside people, and understand who they are instead of what they are
I want people to see as I do, looking beyond the skin
I am hurt
I pretend to be okay, but something hides deep inside of me
I feel pain every time I have high hopes
I touch other people's minds and hearts, showing them it's okay to show yourself for who you are
I worry about everyone and anyone, whether they are friend or foe, because I know it's right
I cry on the inside, never letting it out as men have always done
I am your friend
I understand what you are going through as I have a battle inside
I say it's okay, not giving any hints of my problems because I want to help you
I dream what will happen if I am not here, but I know I can't be God
I try to be there, trying to find a way passed the defences that protect your own secrets
I hope I am not at fault and that it will all be okay; don't worry, because
I am here.
There may be typoes, I don't care, I just typed it real quick for you guys.


![[Image: BurterJune08.jpg]](http://frozendust.com/sig/dbz/BurterJune08.jpg)