Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Trying to get into a College in Florida
#1
Have you done your Fasfa yet? You can usually get some Grants(which you don't have to pay back). I got one for $950 for 1 class.
Reply
#2
I had a whole topic about this in the Kame House a while back. The prospect of taking out a huge loan freaks me the fuck out. I had massive doubts about it purely because of the "what if"s. What if I fail? What if it sucks and I'm left in massive debt? Etc. But now I'm here, I don't regret it. University/College is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Sure, you can return as an adult, but it won't be the same. The experiences and friends you make will stay in your memory forever.

Cheesy, but still.

But yeah, like I said, I don't regret it. You can't really buy independence much these days. It's especially difficult for me since I have Aspergers and I've been kicked out of my last two colleges (like, highschool for amerikekkans/canucks) but luckily this uni is offering me support. As well as that, living in a dorm pretty much forces you into social situations, which is good for me because otherwise I'd just be a loner with no friends. =P

But the point is, it's normal to be freaked out. If it's your dream, follow it. Just do what you've gotta do.
[Image: superbuuelectricityne4.jpg]
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Reply
#3
Do they offer scholarships? If they do, sign up for any that you find are possible to sign up for. Also, I highly recommend using FAFSA. It'll show you what your financial need is to get into college, and many universities, such as Duke, will cover your expenses 100%, with few to no loans, if you get it in before the January deadline.

I'm not sure how it operates at art and design schools, but merit-based scholarships are the way to go. If you can't get any of those, aim for need-based scholarships.

And, if all else fails, there is always the possibility of a student loan. You'll still be technically in debt, but the interest rate is lower, and it doesn't start accumulating until 6 months after you graduate.
[Image: Ruhiel.png]
Reply
#4
I live really near Cornell, if any of you know where that is.

I live borderline Pennsylvania, in a tiny town near Ithaca. But I wanna be an author, or a psychiatrist. So Cornell isn't really for me.

Cornell University, that is.

And BOCES. I live near that, too.
[Image: Celsigcopy-1.jpg]

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Telling myself its not as hard, hard, hard as it seems

Reply
#5
Sorry but I'm going to have to rant now.

You wanna know whats about to give me a stroke? Getting a fuckin' job after Art school. Its a competitive field, extremely competitive, but that was before everyone decided they would do it. When I looked into animation and all that I thought it was a gift from heaven. The things I love, art, computers, and a little money all in one.

Then when I tell people they are all like me too! or Hey my cousin/brother/buddy is too!

ARGHFLGHGJR

If I was confident I was really good I wouldn't worry so much, but despite everyone always telling me how gifted I am I know I suck when compaired to the ones out there doing it for a living. I had an amazing spurt form ninth to 11th grade, where I went from ass to pretty good, making improvements in leaps and bounds. Now I'm drawing the same shit over and over, Its like I hit a brick wall. I enjoy my drawings until I look at it from a professional POV. I know I'm supposed to make art for myself, but its everyone else's opinion which'll matter and seeing it in my notebook where you expect shitty doodles and on a poster which you expect perfection are two different things.

This is without the fact I'm freaking poor so going to a Intitute means a student loan, which means I have to be successful. Someone shoot me.
Sinners make the best Saints
[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]
Reply
#6
Kollifum, I truly recommend that you simply go to a college in your district. For starters, the tuition is cheaper, most of the time.

That's what I am doing. At first I was thinking about University of Miami and USC, but I've switched my choices to University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Towson Uniiversity, Villa Julie University, and Salisbury University.
[Image: 1stAerosig.png]
Placed 3rd in Dante's Abyss 08
Reply
#7
$27,000 a semester? Meaning $54,000 a year? That's horrendous.
[Image: heydudezew6.png]
Reply
#8
Quote:Originally posted by Krillin
$27,000 a semester? Meaning $54,000 a year? That's horrendous.

Yup, that's pretty bad. You know that something is a lot of money when it is more than the salary of an animator, yearly.
[Image: 1stAerosig.png]
Placed 3rd in Dante's Abyss 08
Reply
#9
Google it Kolli.

My Skewl of Choice:

Art Institute of Pittsburgh

Media Arts & Animation - Bachelor of Science
Number of Quarters 12
Number of Credit Hours 180
Tuition Charge per Credit Hour $402.00
Application Fee** $50.00
Enrollment Fee** $100.00
Starting Kit (optional) $760.00
Tuition per Quarter $6,030.00
Total Tuition & Fees
(not including starting kit) $72,360.0
Sinners make the best Saints
[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]
Reply
#10
Thankfully, I am in the "system". As long as I stay in-state, my college is free. =D
[Image: 1stAerosig.png]
Placed 3rd in Dante's Abyss 08
Reply
#11
Get me into the system! I will marry you!
Sinners make the best Saints
[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]
Reply
#12
Well, first you must be under 18. Next, you're parents must be proven to be incapable of taking care of you, or they must abuse you. Either will work.
[Image: 1stAerosig.png]
Placed 3rd in Dante's Abyss 08
Reply
#13
Quote:Originally posted by Kollifum
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's 27,000 a year. I'll have to double check.

Also....Why won't anyone tell me what the HELL FAFSA is???
It couldn't be a free application for federal student aid!
"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl."
[Image: HFSeventeen.jpg]
Reply
#14
Quote:Originally posted by Bun
Well, first you must be under 18. Next, you're parents must be proven to be incapable of taking care of you, or they must abuse you. Either will work.

My daddy raped me, where's my free education!

Alas I'm too elderly.
Sinners make the best Saints
[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]
Reply
#15
Quote:Originally posted by Garlic Jr
Google it Kolli.

My Skewl of Choice:

Art Institute of Pittsburgh

Media Arts & Animation - Bachelor of Science
Number of Quarters 12
Number of Credit Hours 180
Tuition Charge per Credit Hour $402.00
Application Fee** $50.00
Enrollment Fee** $100.00
Starting Kit (optional) $760.00
Tuition per Quarter $6,030.00
Total Tuition & Fees
(not including starting kit) $72,360.0

Dear Lord, I hope that's not yearly. If that's total, that's not bad at all.

Oh, and Kolli:
FAFSA
[Image: Ruhiel.png]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)