07-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Uh, for the record, I think it defeats the purpose of creating a character on an RPG to write a story from an NPC perspective. You created one character to write stories of, so why would you create an NPC and then write a story from their point of view? That almost seems like cheating to me, even if your original character is a part of the story.
That's not to say that I don't think heavily-used NPCs are alright, I just don't like it when point-of-view strays from your main character. It's alright in novels, but this isn't a site about writing novels, it's about creating a character and using them as the vehicle for your story, in my personal opinion.
That's why I think dual characters is such a fantastic idea. It gives you the opportunity to use a different vehicle, and create different stories that you feel you can't create with your original character.
That's not to say that I don't think heavily-used NPCs are alright, I just don't like it when point-of-view strays from your main character. It's alright in novels, but this isn't a site about writing novels, it's about creating a character and using them as the vehicle for your story, in my personal opinion.
That's why I think dual characters is such a fantastic idea. It gives you the opportunity to use a different vehicle, and create different stories that you feel you can't create with your original character.

