12-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Well, I'mma weigh in as probably the most active newest(ish) member (I know I went inactive, but grad school takes precedence over creative writing and I did plan on returning).
Removing CA completely kills any interest in me writing for this website.
See, most of the IC writing on this site is done purely selfishly - there's no goals to pursue, it doesn't affect anybody else (except when you're partnered with somebody, but still) it's just writing for writing's sake.
What CA essentially is is a leaderboard. You can see just how much you have written compared to other, older members on the site. You can set goals for yourself - Today I'm going to post an entry long enough to beat <user_name>'s CA! Sure, you might be discouraged on a macro level - nobody looks at Vic's score and is, like, "Totally gonna get that in a week." However, it can be extremely motivating on a micro level as you claw your way up the page rankings one post at a time. As soon as I'd post, I'd run over to check just how I did on CA.
Considering how rarely people perform in sagas and partnered storylines, differences in CA rarely affected the gameplay. Without it, though, what's the point in even making sure you remain active at all? Just post when you feel like it - you could come back after being out for a year and completely destroy somebody who had been posting regularly the whole time.
So, yeah, you kill CA and you lose a new(ish) member, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid. Interesting.
Removing CA completely kills any interest in me writing for this website.
See, most of the IC writing on this site is done purely selfishly - there's no goals to pursue, it doesn't affect anybody else (except when you're partnered with somebody, but still) it's just writing for writing's sake.
What CA essentially is is a leaderboard. You can see just how much you have written compared to other, older members on the site. You can set goals for yourself - Today I'm going to post an entry long enough to beat <user_name>'s CA! Sure, you might be discouraged on a macro level - nobody looks at Vic's score and is, like, "Totally gonna get that in a week." However, it can be extremely motivating on a micro level as you claw your way up the page rankings one post at a time. As soon as I'd post, I'd run over to check just how I did on CA.
Considering how rarely people perform in sagas and partnered storylines, differences in CA rarely affected the gameplay. Without it, though, what's the point in even making sure you remain active at all? Just post when you feel like it - you could come back after being out for a year and completely destroy somebody who had been posting regularly the whole time.
So, yeah, you kill CA and you lose a new(ish) member, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid. Interesting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If life gives you lemons, hand them to me!
I've got a great recipe for lemon meringue pie.
If life gives you lemons, hand them to me!
I've got a great recipe for lemon meringue pie.

