11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Quote:Originally posted by KrillinOr there could be a class that would teach people about religion. Let's call it. . .theology!
Ah, I disagree on that point. People continuously confuse the theory of Intelligent Design, and the Creationist standpoint.
Clarification: The theory of Intelligent Design is an actual scientific theory that is actually accepted by more scientists than most citizens realize. They believe that a Higher Intelligence created the world in entirety, though there are a few cases in which they believe the world was created, and Evolution provided the animals and such.
The belief of Creationism describes the general view that practising Christians and Jews believe (along with, I think, Muslims). They believe that God created the earth just as he described in Genesis.
So, as you can see, Creationism is the faith part, while the theory of Intelligent Design is the literal science. Science is, after all, examining the facts and determining the most likely outcome from these.
With that said, I don't think Intelligent Design alone should be taught, just as Evolution alone should not be taught. Students should be presented each theory without bias, and then should be left to draw their own conclusions. Outdated and disproven data should not still be placed in new textbooks for Evolution.
Seriously, though; different religions teach different creation myths (I use the term myths because that is how I was taught to call 'em), so science class would have to teach every one of them. A better solution would be theology in high school (it's not in ours here); I'd actually like that, since I plan on taking theology in university.
"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl."
![[Image: HFSeventeen.jpg]](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/hf17/HFSeventeen.jpg)
![[Image: HFSeventeen.jpg]](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/hf17/HFSeventeen.jpg)

