10-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Magic was probably the first collectable card game to come out. YGO didn't come out until many years later. I actually think it came after Pokemon. I've played a lot of different card games because I love strategy, but I still feel that Magic is the deepest and most strategical card game out right now. Not saying it was the best ever (I prefered Netrunner) but it is the best currently.
What originally got me into it was the fantasy flavor. It was like "Wow, this is like that card game Milesbornes but collectable... Chess on cards..." I felt like I was actually the whole wizard dueling someone thing, based on how great the original game felt. Its nostalgic. And now they are going back to that feeling with the newest set, bringing back old ancient abilities and stuff from back in the day.
It has a cost, obviously, but nothing like YGO. YGO is like to even play casual you MUST own as many copies of every 30-50 dollar card allowed, and they are required if you plan on getting anywhere. In magic, most casual type decks have cards that are about 2-5 avg (rares) and as far as any stronger stuff, if you want them, maybe 10-15, depending on what you are going for. Tournament wise, you aren't required to have all the stuff from the beginning that costs you up to 300$, like YGO. You only have to have those expensive power cards if you play Type I, which is pretty much every card available and so powerful it feels like a broken format. It isn't officially sanctioned much, but there is a strong following. Its hard to get into, due to cost, but they've been good about making efficient cards lately to where you can go in with a cheap deck and still be competitive. Also, most Type I tournaments will allow you 9 proxies to keep you from having to by those cards that may cost 500-1000+ each, and in those, if you play well, you can WIN those power cards instead of buying them.
Type II is the most common, which is pretty much decks built on the newest few sets. It has a cost due to always updating your stuff, but if you enjoy playing hardcore like me, the rotations keep things fresh and help stagnation stay minimal.
There are also Extended, and about four other formats that are sanctioned of varying power levels (Legacy is really cool. Its like Type I, minus the most expensive stuff) along with numerous casual formats. They are now sanctioning a few multiplayer formats now like Two Headed Giant, teams, and other things.
Then there is Limited formats. All the above are Constructed. Limited is where you can play Sealed (make decks out of exactly what you open) or Draft (pick a card from a pack, pass the rest to person at left. Pick a card from pack that gets passed to you, repeat. Build your deck based on what you grab and cut the others off on colors you may want or prevent them from getting something that could cripple you. My favorite sanctioned format).
What originally got me into it was the fantasy flavor. It was like "Wow, this is like that card game Milesbornes but collectable... Chess on cards..." I felt like I was actually the whole wizard dueling someone thing, based on how great the original game felt. Its nostalgic. And now they are going back to that feeling with the newest set, bringing back old ancient abilities and stuff from back in the day.
It has a cost, obviously, but nothing like YGO. YGO is like to even play casual you MUST own as many copies of every 30-50 dollar card allowed, and they are required if you plan on getting anywhere. In magic, most casual type decks have cards that are about 2-5 avg (rares) and as far as any stronger stuff, if you want them, maybe 10-15, depending on what you are going for. Tournament wise, you aren't required to have all the stuff from the beginning that costs you up to 300$, like YGO. You only have to have those expensive power cards if you play Type I, which is pretty much every card available and so powerful it feels like a broken format. It isn't officially sanctioned much, but there is a strong following. Its hard to get into, due to cost, but they've been good about making efficient cards lately to where you can go in with a cheap deck and still be competitive. Also, most Type I tournaments will allow you 9 proxies to keep you from having to by those cards that may cost 500-1000+ each, and in those, if you play well, you can WIN those power cards instead of buying them.
Type II is the most common, which is pretty much decks built on the newest few sets. It has a cost due to always updating your stuff, but if you enjoy playing hardcore like me, the rotations keep things fresh and help stagnation stay minimal.
There are also Extended, and about four other formats that are sanctioned of varying power levels (Legacy is really cool. Its like Type I, minus the most expensive stuff) along with numerous casual formats. They are now sanctioning a few multiplayer formats now like Two Headed Giant, teams, and other things.
Then there is Limited formats. All the above are Constructed. Limited is where you can play Sealed (make decks out of exactly what you open) or Draft (pick a card from a pack, pass the rest to person at left. Pick a card from pack that gets passed to you, repeat. Build your deck based on what you grab and cut the others off on colors you may want or prevent them from getting something that could cripple you. My favorite sanctioned format).
![[Image: reijinchefsig.jpg]](http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/warpzone116/reijinchefsig.jpg)
"I'm gonna fuck that unicorrrrrn"

