08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Guys, the pic was key to the point. Isn't it what you want? Out of sight, out of mind I guess. u_u
edit: also, your post made me think of this for some reason
Lucifer Wrote:Agreed (though I strictly talking legal unions here) but in an increasingly secular age people should be entitled to legal unions irrespective of faith. I'm not talking tax breaks, I'm talking rights to be treated as a spouse in such things as separation, hospital visitation and any number of other important things, shockingly, only granted through legal union.If that's all you're talking about then it's not even an issue. If homosexuals want to bring in all the joy that a contractual obligation brings into a relationship, there's nothing that can stop them. Goods and finances can be shared by force of law. All they have to do is draw up a contract, then have it signed and notarized. Also, hospitals aren't required by law to permit only family to see patients: my mother works at a hospital and she's explained to me that it's up to the individual hospital policy, and I've heard the same from others. (if there is such a law then I have yet to even hear about it) If not for the want of calling it "marriage" and having religion approve of it by force, then I don't see what the issue could possibly be.
I'm not one of those people who want to wave my arms in the air and shout "you have to call it marriage" either, you could call it Queercon 2008 for all I care.
I respect marriage as a religious institution insofar as it takes place within the Church, but we simply live in an age where commited couples need the security that a legal partnership brings. I am just as opposed to pressuring Churches to allow gay marriage ceremonies as I'm opposed to legally forcing religious adoption agencies to cater to gay couples.
Sadly, things would be a lot simpler if the homosexual community at large didn't tend to pass around the same brain cell when addressing this issue. Unfortunately, there's a bit too much of a commitment to an "all or nothing" mentality. Ironically the majority believe that their freedom to express themselves is of greater merit than that of the religions they oppose, which is sad, and which has and will do much to poison this issue.
The gays are messing up the marriage debate in much the same way a pro-choice advocate would if they insisted all women had abortions.
edit: also, your post made me think of this for some reason

