Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Speaking as a player, I'm totally with Vad on that one. I absolutely would not want anyone to join as Raditzu. You can call me selfish or narcissistic or anything you else, but that's how I feel about it.
As a staff member, though, I would go along with whatever was deemed as best for the RPG as a whole.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
Kaden Wrote:Speaking as a player, I'm totally with Vad on that one. I absolutely would not want anyone to join as Raditzu. You can call me selfish or narcissistic or anything you else, but that's how I feel about it.
As a staff member, though, I would go along with whatever was deemed as best for the RPG as a whole.
The staff disclaimer goes for me as well xD
It's a given.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
I would have a strong opposition to once more dealing with a world where the Pan that was once your wife and had your child suddenly wakes up, has never met you, has no child, and you now have to decide whether your child gets bullshitted into "existed from a dark otherworld alternate timeline hybrid fusion existence" like every other MarySue. Its not an issue of selfishness, as I as a player would love to write as Reijin again from a personal perspective. Its an issue of looking at the construct as a writer and knowing that I would, on a personal level, have a very hard time actually overcoming these glaring plot holes and pretending that very major points of my character suddenly, without any good reasoning, didn't exist, as if they had happened in the very filler arcs that we love to hate. Especially if its something I viewed as important and not as a throwaway filler role.
Posts: 0
Threads: 165
Joined: May 2006
So why not just have Staff get together and make certain past canons off limits and or give the ones that were played by the players who played them last a say-so in the manner of how they're used. That's my solution to that.
Cause honestly I have barely read any of Rad's past stuff outside of a few posts in a past saga, same with Toma. But I can understand why you both would not want your past characters messed with or portrayed any differently than you played them or wanted to finish playing them.
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
I was talking with a member on AIM about canons, specifically, and the entire issue ends up being more complex than simply disallowing some and allowing others. We need to make decisions about consolidating the Chubbs history and what becomes "official" and so on.
I had more to say, but I saw something shiny.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 53
Threads: 60
Joined: Sep 2006
Jacob Wrote:So why not just have Staff get together and make certain past canons off limits and or give the ones that were played by the players who played them last a say-so in the manner of how they're used. That's my solution to that.
Cause honestly I have barely read any of Rad's past stuff outside of a few posts in a past saga, same with Toma. But I can understand why you both would not want your past characters messed with or portrayed any differently than you played them or wanted to finish playing them.
Sorry, but this just makes me roll my eyes. I said the same thing to Kaden when we were talking on AIM. You might as well just make all canons off-limits.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
12-28-2010, 04:15 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010, 04:18 AM by Jonathan Meer.)
These things make sense to me. Canons are a headache.
EDIT: So whuddabout those peeps who had a canon pre-switch, then retiring them thereafter? As in, can I have Krill as a second chara, to fuck around on?
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
12-28-2010, 04:35 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010, 04:41 AM by Rem-13.)
I think I've made my desire for a DBZ divorced RPG plain (even though I still love Dragonball/Z) but as that'll never happen the next best thing to inject new blood is the allowance of canons. The issues of motivating our current population and obtaining new members are, I think, mostly separate. Newbies are going to write if they wanna write when they first come in regardless of combat ability and transformations and all that shit. Its the fluff of making/choosing the character that effect our ability to snag new people, the rest of the crunch effects retention.
edit: And I'm sorry, but on a DBZ RPG with canons your characters past HAS to be a grey shifting mass. Members came in and dropped out all the time in the past, what did you do back then?
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Posts: 0
Threads: 165
Joined: May 2006
Rem-13 Wrote:I think I've made my desire for a DBZ divorced RPG plain (even though I still love Dragonball/Z) but as that'll never happen the next best thing to inject new blood is the allowance of canons. The issues of motivating our current population and obtaining new members are, I think, mostly separate. Newbies are going to write if they wanna write when they first come in regardless of combat ability and transformations and all that shit. Its the fluff of making/choosing the character that effect our ability to snag new people, the rest of the crunch effects retention.
edit: And I'm sorry, but on a DBZ RPG with canons your characters past HAS to be a grey shifting mass. Members came in and dropped out all the time in the past, what did you do back then?
I agree.
Anyway I have no clue as what else to suggest, to me things appear to be much more difficult than they should be. Hopefully things gets resolved to get the rpg back on it's feet.
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
Rem-13 Wrote:I think I've made my desire for a DBZ divorced RPG plain (even though I still love Dragonball/Z) but as that'll never happen the next best thing to inject new blood is the allowance of canons. The issues of motivating our current population and obtaining new members are, I think, mostly separate. Newbies are going to write if they wanna write when they first come in regardless of combat ability and transformations and all that shit. Its the fluff of making/choosing the character that effect our ability to snag new people, the rest of the crunch effects retention.
edit: And I'm sorry, but on a DBZ RPG with canons your characters past HAS to be a grey shifting mass. Members came in and dropped out all the time in the past, what did you do back then?
Back then, I won't lie, I raged about it and was all "Fuck you bitch, you fucked up my story, please go die in a fire because I now have a very significant NPC to my character". Something like three or four times. And not really that mean about it but man I raged irl about it. Almost like how much Sage got aced when the character of Xenia was retired, except he can just use the NPC relation and not worry about having another person playing Xenia and going "I have no idea who Sage is", when Sage's entire character is built around said relationship. Yeah, she could easily just replace Xenia with another name and go about it, but its bullshit to have to either regularly rewrite your entire history or be forced to have to play the "dark shadowy figure" the entire lifespan.
Additionally, yeah, for about 3 years now I've just been absolutely tired of the DBZ attachment of the RPG. I'd much prefer a new IP that we've made ourselves. This isn't a promise that my activity would increase, as I want to devote my priorities to upcoming school and keep other things as a background entertainment, but it would definitely help sway my interest during those times.
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
I must be one of the few that actually enjoys the DBZ side of the writing.
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
Orion Wrote:I must be one of the few that actually enjoys the DBZ side of the writing.
/agreed
Canon or not. Vad is who he is because of DBZ physics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 12
Threads: 23
Joined: May 2007
Orion Wrote:I must be one of the few that actually enjoys the DBZ side of the writing.
I love the DBZ side of things, but it's gotta be middle ground. As much as I wanna fly around and blast stuff with energy, I still want to develop good story and plots instead of just exchanging punches at light speed all the damn time.
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
There's absolutely no reason why you can't have both.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM by Jonathan Meer.)
<3 dbz
EDIT: This site, in its current state, would not survive a transition to a new storyline foundation.
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
Listen I still like DBZ, and the DBZ side of the writing too (though I long for a chubbs equivalent for a custom setting), but I'm looking to what can make this site a viable role playing community in the future. Kai was our last best hope for a DBZ revival, and while people are watching you can't see it in terms of new members.
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Posts: 35
Threads: 203
Joined: Jun 2004
We're not going to have an influx of solid, new members anytime soon. It's going to be rare to see someone like Jarka, a new member who has the potential to be active, apply to join here. I honestly don't think that that is going to change, regardless of how we brand ourselves to outsiders. I think the popularity of PbP online RPGs in general is waning, not just DBZ-themed ones. I think that our best shot is to get the community we have now, which, if you include the stragglers is fairly extensive, then we can have an active community again. Even if we just have 12-15 people actively roleplaying (which is about as many as are involved in this discussion) then i think that can be considered a major success.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
It may not be like before, but it's our best shot.
Posts: 66
Threads: 133
Joined: Dec 2005
Jonathan Meer Wrote:It may not be like before, but it's our best shot.
I see no hard evidence to support that statement.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
As though I've done laboratory tests on this.
It's commonly agreed here that canons were one of the biggest draws back in our earlier days. People who like DBZ want to roleplay as the characters. They also want to be saiya-jin. Most of all, they want to participate in the DBZ universe; a world of customs does not indicate 'DBZ' like a world of canons. This makes perfect sense to me, and is also precisely the sort of thing for which 'hard evidence' doesn't really exist; the compulsion of the conclusion stems from the themes, not from reference-able observation.
Do you have a particular reason for supposing that canons would not be a significant draw?
|