Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
Have you ever hurt yourself bad enough to create... bizarre emotional responses?
Like, yesterday a forklift, er, tried to occupy the same space as me during work yesterday. I banged up my knee pretty bad. Now, forgetting about that, I tried to sit cross-legged on my office chair (I do that a lot, helps my back for some reason). Of course, the knee didn't have any of that. Pain receptors start freaking out, but I can't just unbend the knee super fast because the pain is telling me not to, so it's dragged out as I try to straighten the knee.
Basically it hurt bad enough that I started chuckling uncontrollably. This is a fairly common - if not really strange - reaction I have to pain.
The question is, does this happen to you? Or do you react only with the expected anger/anguish/etc?
Posts: 0
Threads: 112
Joined: Sep 2006
Sometimes I cradle myself. Especially if I stub my toe on something hard.
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Bra Wrote:Basically it hurt bad enough that I started chuckling uncontrollably. This is a fairly common - if not really strange - reaction I have to pain.
This has happened to me before. Having very little neurological knowledge -- and not enough interest to check wikipedia, lawl -- I have no idea why it happens.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 3
Threads: 153
Joined: Jul 2006
On the instances I injure myself, I honestly don't notice until after the fact. So I just get in the whole 'wtf? When dis shit happened?' mode, lol.
Posts: 0
Threads: 112
Joined: Sep 2006
I laugh when something unfortunate happens, but it's usually in more of a "roflmao, pwned" type sense. It's not really uncontrollable, I just take humor in my own misfortunes (along with that of others).
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Posts: 16
Threads: 135
Joined: Jul 2006
Certain types of pain makes me laugh. Like a few months ago I was playing with the dog, chasing him around, and I slammed my little toe on his cage, I instantly fell to the ground and started giggling like a little girl. It really hurt too.
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
I laugh when my leg cramps up. Its not as fun as it looks.
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Posts: 6
Threads: 160
Joined: Sep 2005
I've had some bad injuries. I popped my elbow out of its socket once, and the adrenaline nulled the pain. The same thing happened when I was hit by a bike, fell off a modified golf cart on the road while going fifteen miles per hour, and had my foot sliced open with a jackknife.
My body's natural reaction to pain is adrenaline.
"Maria..."
"...my star...'"
Quote:frickinegg 4:46 pm
To me, the thread is less about criticizing/defending Avatar and more about wondering how stoned Jack was when he saw the movie/made the thread.
Posts: 0
Threads: 55
Joined: Oct 2006
I cry when I get a papercut
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
Strong Pain = a loud WHAT THE FUCK!
Dull Pain = Complaining >.>
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 61
Threads: 398
Joined: Oct 2005
I was a real crybaby as a kid. Like, I would cry if I hurt anything, or if anything particularly sad happened.
But for some reason, when I broke my leg at 8 or so, I pretty much just went 'ow' and that was it. I was totally chill, I think I may even have laughed. Ambulance people kept asking me questions and I was like "it's fine, stop worrying, let me be". The latter could have been attributable to the sweet, sweet oxygen they gave me though.
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
Oxygen ODs are amazing.
Mal Nova Wrote:I do apologize for using the word rape. There are four separate definitions for the word rape, two of which describe vegetation...
Posts: 0
Threads: 88
Joined: Jun 2005
I'm not very pain tolerant, so when I end up hurting myself badly I sometimes sort of shout/scream and curl into myself. >_>
Posts: 0
Threads: 165
Joined: May 2006
Raditzu Wrote:This has happened to me before. Having very little neurological knowledge -- and not enough interest to check wikipedia, lawl -- I have no idea why it happens.
Ditto. I wish I knew why it happens, it's actually gotten me into trouble a few times, when I injured my knee during football practice I stood up to try and walk it off and ended up feeling like someone kicked me in it, I fell to the ground laughing and grimacing while I held my knee. Coach was like 'Brian what the hell is wrong with you? Gimme ten laps!'
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
If I had to take a guess, I would guess that the brain is doing something like releasing endorphins to block some of the pain.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
I have a serious laughing problem. I was googling this problem and the word 'laughter' was making me laugh. A fucking chalkboard will make me laugh. o.O
I laugh at almost everything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
I'll sometimes laugh when I hurt myself, but only if it's something stupid, like banging my head on a low door frame. If it's like, someone throwing a brick at me, I wouldn't be laughing.
Posts: 0
Threads: 112
Joined: Sep 2006
Orion Wrote:I'll sometimes laugh when I hurt myself, but only if it's something stupid, like banging my head on a low door frame. If it's like, someone throwing a brick at me, I wouldn't be laughing.
Yeah, it's not my brain responding to pain, I just appreciate a good pwn.
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Posts: 5
Threads: 61
Joined: Oct 2008
The laughing thing is fairly common. It doesn't happen if I'm sparring, but when my back was messed up I chuckled as I sat up and that sort of thing.
![[Image: Cain.jpg]](http://rebecca.florizone.com/sig/miscsig/Cain.jpg)
"No man is an island." - John Donne
|