Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
Different subject deserves a different thread, I suppose.
What of the Earth Element, and the Darkness Element (Opposite Light)? Because the elemental ability says you can only choose from the list. I'm not questioning a possibly good judgement call, just asking if this was an oversight- or curious why this was...?
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
Honestly, the elemental ki changes have confused me as well. For one, I still to this day don't like "Lumokinesis" aka, Elemental Ki - Light, as it seems entirely superfluous to standard Ki while also calling it an element suddenly. Additionally, of all the people that insisted that I simply wasn't creative enough to see the enormous use of it, I don't see anyone taking it (at first glance).
On that same note, I personally feel that Ice and Water should be combined, as to me, they are the same element. The only time I've really seen any game separate those is Chrono Trigger, and that was entirely for flavor reasons. However, I can also understand that controlling water ala Storm could be something entirely different than Iceman, so that's something I can see both arguments on.
Earth I think should be there.
Darkness, I don't. For the same reason that I don't agree with Light being there. The only conception I can see for those would be "Holy" and "Unholy - aka Dark Energy".
But, this is also anime, so logic rules don't always apply, in the absolute scientific viewpoint that you and I take towards things. To show example, Naruto characters frequently replace themselves with a log, even in the desert, a random log, and try to act like that log looked like them for the duration of an attack. You have to look at it and just roll your eyes sometimes.
So you can see why one might entirely disagree with it being a problem.
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Darkness would fall under Light Element.
I've thought about Earth several times and I think Psychokinesis would fit the bill. I mean, we could add an "Earth" element to the list. I don't really see a reason why we couldn't.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 35
Threads: 203
Joined: Jun 2004
04-06-2009, 02:54 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2009, 02:56 AM by Alexander Trafford.)
Earth falling under Psychokinesis meaning... we can manipulate rocks and the ground and shit if we have psychokinesis... and make it blow up with our minds?
On that same note, I personally feel that Ice and Water should be combined, as to me, they are the same element. The only time I've really seen any game separate those is Chrono Trigger, and that was entirely for flavor reasons. However, I can also understand that controlling water ala Storm could be something entirely different than Iceman, so that's something I can see both arguments on.
and Pokemon, come on now.
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
It's more like you pick up rocks and shit the same way you would pick up or move anything else.
EDIT: It's not exactly what Wizard was talking about that, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2009, 03:07 AM by Kappa.)
@ Kaden on Earth Element: Yes but could you turn it to sand in an instant, or the reverse? Could you bend forests to your will?
And of course, there would be people like me who would dare to take it a step further and suggest that Gurokinetics (I think thats right), or users of the Earth Element, would have a much more adept and connected relationship with planets and their lesser lifeforms (I.e. animals, vermin, etc).
@ Ashe/Kaden on Light Element: Ah, that makes sense Kaden. And Ashe there are certianly several uses of light as an element, and if I had a different character; I might have taken it. The direction I would take it would be: connection to and powers related to the sources of light: stars/the sun (with the exception of fire, of course). And of course, moves like Solar Flare.
Oh.. and yeah; Ice/Water I thought, were one and the same. But it works to have them seperate, I think. Just like lightning/fire are seperate and too could be one in the same. Its just a difficult system, because many aspects of each element could bleed into the areas of another.
Take light for example: users of the Light Element should technically be able to create laserbeams. Which, as most of you know, are intensely hot. The current system might not allow that, though its perfectly plausible, without the Fire Element (even though there is no fire involved).
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Wizard Wrote:@ Kaden on Earth Element: Yes but could you turn it to sand in an instant, or the reverse? Could you bend forests to your will?
Actually, turning the ground into sand sounds like something Psycho might be able to do. Telekinetically deconstructing rocks and dirt and shit on, like, a really small scale... Seems Custom-able to me.
*blinks*
Anyway, like I said, I know that's not exactly what you meant. I don't think anyone would really be against adding that to the "element" list.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
04-06-2009, 03:08 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2009, 03:13 AM by Kappa.)
Yeah, I kind of thought that too Kade. If you would; could you comment on my edited addition?
Specifically about the correlation between the light element and the fire element
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
I could see Psycho breaking something down, but I'm not so sure about properly (as in not temporarily) reconstructing it. Thinking Gaara style stuff here. I see someone hurling a rock and Psycho blasting it apart so it harmlessly breaks like sand or whatever, but I can't see it lifting up sand and creating a cage of solid rock without it being a temporary cage requiring focus.
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
I'm assuming you italicized your edit.
I can see both sides of the Water/Ice argument. Conceptually, I like the idea of having them separate, but there's not necessarily any harm in condensing them. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I just prefer them separately.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
04-06-2009, 03:21 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2009, 03:26 AM by Kappa.)
My suggestion would be to group some like abilities together and condense things a bit.
Earth (Animal Affinity), Air (Sound), Fire (Lightning), and Water (Ice)
+ Light (Darkness) and Metal
...Existing outside the boundaries of the Primary Four (as their own abilties, like they currently are).
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
If we were going to change it to anything, I'd probably push the Earth/Wood/Metal/Water/Fire set-up. I think it fits DBZ better.
Wind and Light would be the outsiders.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 19
Threads: 414
Joined: Jul 2004
I prefer Water and Ice separate as well, though I too can see both sides of the argument. As far as Light/Dark, I don't think they're big enough of a deal to mess around with, but anyone who wants to see some alterations made, go for it.
We can add Earth. I honestly don't know why we didn't have it before.
EDIT: Way to go for the Chinese Elements, Kaden.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
_=So wake me when it's through
I don't want to feel the things that you do
Don't worry, I'll be fine
I just don't want this dream, wake me up inside=_
Posts: 0
Threads: 114
Joined: Jun 2007
Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Lightning works fine.
Or Earth... Fire... Wind... Water...
HEART!
By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!
Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
04-06-2009, 03:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2009, 03:51 AM by Kappa.)
xD @ Josh
I like lightning being a part of fire myself; but some might not.
As for Light.. yeah, dark needn't be seperate. But know this, if I ever get light, YOU WILL SEE LASER BEAMS!
Posts: 35
Threads: 96
Joined: Mar 2009
I agree w/ Kaden with the Earth/Wood/Metal/Water/Fire bit, as they're the traditional Chinese elements, and it fits the genre. I've also seen wood or metal taken out and wind put in on random occasions, so I'm not entirely sure what the 'traditional' ones are.
But really, I think that the alchemy standards (fire, wind, water, earth) are a bit more useful/practical. Just my opinion!
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
I entirely don't see lightning and fire being "the same thing". Water and Ice are two entirely different states of the same matter, Fire and Lightning are two different states of different matter that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other.
But I'm not even fighting to really truely combine Ice and Water just for flavor reasons. I just cannot see the flavor reasons or logic reasons of Dark and Light elements.
As for Earth, I have no idea why having an Earth element somehow necessitates the person being a cuddly lover of animals. I'm thinking Earth as in stone and sand, forms of rock and crystal. I'm not thinking Earth element as "mother earth" and thus also controlling trees to grab people in the Druidic style, and extending to animal empathy and all that. I feel we have the techniques that allow for some of that already, and going by that Gaara style of thinking I was using for Earth, I don't ever see him ever reaching down to hold a puppy up close and a dozen birds flying down to land on his shoulder.
What I'd love to see is someone slam their palms down into the earth and a freakin' massive rock golem rise up to beat the shit out of someone. That kind of earth element. The Captain Planet version of the earth ring is a good example as well. Seismic power.
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Ashe Wrote:As for Earth, I have no idea why having an Earth element somehow necessitates the person being a cuddly lover of animals.
I agree.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
Earth =/= Nature, is a good way of explaining what I feel we mean by that.
Posts: 22
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2009
Ashe Wrote:As for Earth, I have no idea why having an Earth element somehow necessitates the person being a cuddly lover of animals. On second thought, I think I agree as well.
Ashe Wrote:going by that Gaara style of thinking I was using for Earth, I don't ever see him ever reaching down to hold a puppy up close and a dozen birds flying down to land on his shoulder. But this isn't a Naruto RPG.
|