Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
NPC idea
#1
The idea is NPC's have either cosmetic rewards or a few points off purchase of a new technique (because of the sped up learning with a teacher). It would have to be menial points off to encourage earning more XP, but you get the gist. Maybe some could offer points off any (1 ability here) based custom techs. Knowing virtually any attack that someone creates for an ability would make the NPC's seem more literally masterful of said ability.

If you wanted to take it a step further, maybe some of you vets could NPC your old characters and roleplay them as masters when someone sought them out. The roleplays wouldn't have to be lengthy, but it would give new members (and old) a chance to roleplay with vets to get a better feel for what their roleplays should be like. Since most of them would be pretty aged now (maybe dead, which kills this second idea) they'd probably have a supreme mastery of at least one or two abilities.
[Image: Cain.jpg]
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Reply
#2
I like where you're going with it, but your explanation of the idea is a little confusing
Reply
#3
NPCs are = to quest givers

Quest rewards are = to either cosmetic changes to the character that would otherwise be unavailable (no ageing, changes of a character trait maybe, or rerolling base stats without the penalty of losing xp earned and forcing people to earn more xp in the process, etc) and/or points off a tech purchase or custom tech purchase.

Some NPCs could = real player's old characters. This would encourage roleplaying between vets and normal players. Vets roleplays wouldn't have to be long, they'd just be story direction, dialogue, or otherwise simple things. This, in theory, would encourage better roleplaying done by non-vet characters because of the interaction. Beside the warm fuzzy feeling of being a mentor the Vet would gain XP at a normal rate for their roleplays.

If the second idea is appealing and the timeline won't work, Alec, the former sage of Kajin Rala could have discovered the serum for eternal life in his timeline, and given it to the old characters that sought it out. He did build Android Ultimate, so it wouldn't be that far fetched.
[Image: Cain.jpg]
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Reply
#4
I get that you want our old canons to be used as quest guiders and your reward proposals for completed quests.

My question is, What do you mean by a normal player? If you mean normal= newbies, then why do you believe it would encourage RP'ing between vets and newbies?

What do you mean 'vets roleplays wouldn't have to be long?' Are you implying that you want us 'the vets' to RP our old cannons in quest threads for newbies?
[Image: soifonf.jpg]

Does honesty earn respect or inspire revenge? Is it smarter to attack the strong or annihilate the weak?
Reply
#5
That old canons be used isn't the main point.

For the rest:
Normal isn't just newbie. And anyone adding to a storyline with anything is roleplaying with someone. Don't know how else to explain it.

It would encourage better roleplaying because not only would whoever it is that's involved have someone reading their writing, they'd have someone working interactively with them. So A: They have their own standard to meet for something readable, and B: They have the occasional cutscene, if you will, of a staffer writing a paragraph or two of their quest. It's sortof an expanding of the old roleplaying school.

Yes, I'm suggesting you take a hand in members roleplays, even an omniscient storyline hand, other than grading them. When I joined (04-05) staff was still occasionally writing a paragraph or two at the end of people's quests/spars to finish them up. Could just be DA memories though. The suggestion is to bring that back, maybe posts in the middle too, for storyline interaction.

If the old cannons aren't such a good idea, then just think of the NPC's as quest givers. The quests to be fabricated by whomever.
[Image: Cain.jpg]
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Reply
#6
The basic idea came up in the initial planning for the current set-up, actually. There were a couple minor concerns, but overall it seemed like something that would be fine with everyone.

The Sensei, on Kajin Rala, were intended to fill the role you describe at one point. Don't exactly remember what happened to the idea, though.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#7
I have tried to bring quest giver NPCs into this game for years.

Good luck.

EDIT: Why are you so concerned w/ aging of canons? You do realize that we're in the same exact timeline now as we were pre-reset, right? It's the same year IC now as it was then. More or less.

EDIT2: That all said, I love the idea. Always have.
[Image: Sage.jpg]
Reply
#8
I love the idea of NPCs that have actual substance; but the way its worded in this thread leads me in circles :S
Reply
#9
I am in support of this idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply
#10
I didn't foresee it as such a difficult thing to bring about.

I thought we were thousands of years later or something. Shit.
[Image: Cain.jpg]
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Reply
#11
Nah. We're like... a year later.

If that.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#12
...Zangya's dead. =]

[Image: picture.php?albumid=31&pictureid=126]

Bio: Juno | Active Thread: The Invasion - Bad Medicine
Reply
#13
I think this idea would be good.


But Toma is dead...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Image: Viper-Adjusted-Mini-Sig.png]
[Image: Trixie-Mini-Sig-Fixed.png]

Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Reply
#14
But Minoshia is not.
[Image: alext.jpg]
Reply
#15
Neither is Nappa!
Reply
#16
Juno Wrote:...Zangya's dead. =]

Vad Wrote:But Toma is dead...

Alexander Trafford Wrote:But Minoshia is not.

Szar Wrote:Neither is Nappa!

I'm not following the relevance of those posts...
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#17
Kaden Wrote:I'm not following the relevance of those posts...

Of course Raditzu isn't dead!
Reply
#18
Well, first of all, this is DBZ. No one is really dead.

Second of all... I hate you.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#19
Point in reference, there really was no relevance to my post.

To give it relevance and make it un-warnable, let's say that it was totally relevant in that I support Zangya being an NPC in the Afterlife and am rather fond of this idea.

[Image: picture.php?albumid=31&pictureid=126]

Bio: Juno | Active Thread: The Invasion - Bad Medicine
Reply
#20
Oh I wasn't going to warn anyone, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't, like, missing something.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)