Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Fitness
#61
I like the imperial system.

Well... not the system so much as what it represents. When you're king, you do whatever the hell you want, no matter how little sense it makes.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#62
xD

That's a good way to look at it.
[Image: OrionAug11.jpg]
Reply
#63
Orion Wrote:"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"

'Kay. I use metric (but not for height and weight; I'm not crazy) and I have no idea what that means. I know it's from the Simpsons so I assume it's a joke, but I feel dumb and need to make sure.
[Image: Sage.jpg]
Reply
#64
That was Grandpa defending the imperial system. Before tonight, I thought those terms was just made up. Apparently, those things are real measurements.

1 hogshead = 238.480942 liters

1 rod = 5.02920 metres
[Image: OrionAug11.jpg]
Reply
#65
They're real?!

Fuck, that's amazing!
[Image: Sage.jpg]
Reply
#66
Apologies for the necro, but I thought I'd drop this link: http://brainoverbrawn.com/?page_id=21

Free e-book written by one of the somethingawful forum members that is essentially supposed to be a complete manual for the human body, nutrition and fitness. It's information everybody should know, in a very compact and accessible form that I would recommend to anyone looking to change their diet or start a new workout program.
[Image: superbuuelectricityne4.jpg]
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Reply
#67
suhweet, i was just about to search for this thread because i'm moving on to an actual exercise regimen now.
[Image: rsz_jqvaz_1.jpg]
Reply
#68
What's a good way to get lean muscle instead of bulk muscle? I'd like to gain some strength, particularly leg strength, but I don't want to look like a she-hulk. Does anyone know any activites that can do this? I run a average of 5 miles a day, and while it increases my cardio, I was wondering if there was more I could do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply
#69
Karin Osaki Wrote:What's a good way to get lean muscle instead of bulk muscle? I'd like to gain some strength, particularly leg strength, but I don't want to look like a she-hulk. Does anyone know any activites that can do this? I run a average of 5 miles a day, and while it increases my cardio, I was wondering if there was more I could do.

Low weight high rep, and cardio.
Reply
#70
So anything with low weight? I mean, if I benched low weight with a lot of repetition it wouldn't create bulk, but it'd make lean muscle?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply
#71
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q...cbbf06dc4f
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#72
Ty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply
#73
Also try ankle weights if you got good knee's. And theres alot of exorcises with resistance bands you can do to tone ya legs up.
Reply
#74
Karin Osaki Wrote:What's a good way to get lean muscle instead of bulk muscle? I'd like to gain some strength, particularly leg strength, but I don't want to look like a she-hulk. Does anyone know any activites that can do this? I run a average of 5 miles a day, and while it increases my cardio, I was wondering if there was more I could do.

This is a huge retarded myth among women and oh fuck it I'm just going to quote someone who's written it all up for me:

Quote:With very few exceptions, the principles of diet and exercise are the same for men and women. I recognize this is hard for women to accept, especially if you have little understanding of the science behind exercise.

The truth is, women can't gain muscle at anywhere near the rate of men, no matter how hard they lift. Men naturally produce testosterone (you, of course, produce estrogen,), and the fact that we have 60% more upperbody muscle mass on average (yes, even the lanky little nerd you know has significantly more potential for growth in the upperbody) means you will never become "big and bulky" if you don't use growth hormones and steroids.

Getting huge doesn't just happen to men, forget women. Every female fitness magazine you read is garbage. It's not hyperbole. Every single one. They are bad. Men's Health isn't really highly regarded, but you are honestly way better off reading it than you are pretty much any other fitness magazine geared towards your sex. They fixate on things like spot reduction (a myth discussed below) and bosu balls (CORE TRAINING OH EM GEE), light little weights and hours spent doing cardio.

Light weights don't do anything for you but build muscle... Slowly. You might say the point of this is to avoid you getting big and bulky like a female bodybuilder. You, as a woman, genetically have a "cap" on muscle mass. You will NOT get big. What's the point then of reaching your potential slow (or really, never reaching your potential at all) when you could reach it faster with heavy weights?

Heavy weights actually cause the bone to become more dense. Bone density is a major issue for women. Heavy weights build muscle, muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat, therefore muscle increases your metabolism.

Every woman in Hollywood who is considered "hot" does resistance training. They do intervals in cardio. Genetically you are predisposed against ever getting large without the help of chemistry. Do not worry about big weights making you big. They will build muscle, which will burn fat faster, help with cellulite, increase bone density, give you 'shape' and they're the only thing that can fix flabby arms for women over 30.

For the greatest benefits, lift weights like everyone else. The benefits of this over pure cardio are covered in detail in the link I posted above, or pretty much anywhere else on the internet if you feel like searching. Unless you have fairly unusual genetics or take steroids (both of which is the case for a lot of the super-bulky female bodybuilder models), you will not become a she-hulk.

</fitness nerd mode>
[Image: superbuuelectricityne4.jpg]
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Reply
#75
Greg Wrote:you will not become a she-hulk.

</fitness nerd mode>

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/...1-2128.jpg

I dunno, She-hulk doesn't look that bad.
Reply
#76
.
[Image: Cain.jpg]
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Reply
#77
Greg covered what I was going to say. Nice work.
[Image: Dirty_Harry.png]
Reply
#78
Bottom line: eat better, get out of your computer chair, set down the x-box controller, and go do shit. Doesn't matter what it is. I'm one of those people who doesn't like lifting weights and shit. I get most of my exercise from sports and other activities, two hours of tennis here, some swimming there (best work-out ever, by the way), some basketball every now and then, just running with two other people.

Your friends are a support system, they will hold you to your program and vice versa. Find people and work out in groups, it'll keep you honest.
[Image: alext.jpg]
Reply
#79
^Good advice. The best exercise is something that you will actually stick to, hence why I've stuck with mainly bodyweight exercises. I knew if I joined a gym, the hassle of having to go to and from it (I'm a bus ride or 45-minute walk away) would discourage me from making it a regular thing. Don't force yourself to go running if you hate it. I've actually become addicted to my regimen because I love seeing the incremental progress, it is definitely noticeable now - I'm fitter than I've ever been.
[Image: superbuuelectricityne4.jpg]
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Reply
#80
Greg Wrote:^Good advice. The best exercise is something that you will actually stick to, hence why I've stuck with mainly bodyweight exercises. I knew if I joined a gym, the hassle of having to go to and from it (I'm a bus ride or 45-minute walk away) would discourage me from making it a regular thing. Don't force yourself to go running if you hate it. I've actually become addicted to my regimen because I love seeing the incremental progress, it is definitely noticeable now - I'm fitter than I've ever been.

I don't know about weight lifting, but I love running. I like getting a runners high, plus it's a nice feeling to know that you can run without getting overly tired.

I have a membership to the YMCA, but I never really go. I might go to lift weights, but I haven't decided. Maybe I'll go today, actually. XD.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)