Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Buying/Building a new computer
#1
I want a new computer.

General, with a mind toward gaming (and upgradeability). Don't need it to be top-of-the-line.

Windows 7, mostly because I'm interested in gaming, and don't want to bother with the headaches of Wine and all of that.

Desktop. Don't care for laptops (at the moment).

How should I go about this? What should I know? What companies should I work with?

I'm not an idiot, but I've also never built a computer (and don't know too terribly much about them). I wouldn't be against building my own, if it saves money.
Reply
#2
How much money are you lookin' to spend. And do you need peripherals, like a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.
Reply
#3
Do need peripherals.

Not looking to spend more than a thousand, preferably.
Reply
#4
Asus make's some darn good computers man you should check them out.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
The cure is a shotgun, the cure is whatever blunt instrument one can salvage.Whomever finds themselves too proper will be the first to perish. And you know nothing that matters now.
[/COLOR]
Reply
#5
I am in pretty much the exact same boat so I will be watching this topic. I have upgraded parts of my PC before but I dunno about building a computer.
[Image: superbuuelectricityne4.jpg]
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Reply
#6
If you started with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundl...mbo.361290

You'd just need monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows. And you could get another video card at some point and Crossfire it with the on-board GPU.
[Image: Teemer2003.png]
Reply
#7
I just hopped over to Dell and customized a Studio XPS 8100 Desktop.

Quote:PROCESSORS: Intel® Core™ i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, EnglishWARRANTY AND SERVICE: 1 Year Basic Service Plan
MEMORY: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
MONITOR: 20" Dell ST2010 HD Widescreen Monitor
VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3HARD DRIVE: 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW DriveSPEAKERS: Dell AX210 Stereo SpeakersKEYBOARD: Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse
With a $978 price tag. Pretty good price for the box without having to buy all the parts and assemble it yourself.

If you wanted to cut that down a bit, I upgraded the Processor and the RAM. Both were only $50, though, and were good enough prices that it would probably be worth it to keep them.

The keyboard/mouse combo was very reasonably priced at $50. The monitor you can find cheaper, though it's not an awful price, and the speakers are... well... $20 speakers -- probably an appropriate price for what you'd get.

EDIT: I'd actually suggesting keeping the Proc the box defaults with and upgrading the Graphics Card to the ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#8
Metal Teemer Wrote:If you started with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundl...mbo.361290

You'd just need monitor, keyboard, mouse, and Windows. And you could get another video card at some point and Crossfire it with the on-board GPU.

Would probably want to upgrade the PSU at the same time.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#9
If you need monitor/keyboard/mouse and you don't own a copy of Win7 already you probably aren't going to save over a prebuilt.

I'd suggest checking out the HP Pavilion Elite series. They're pretty nice machines.
[Image: 22173.png]
Give waffuru an internets today!
[Image: 1324033725.png]
Reply
#10
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shoppi...10t_series

Take the free upgrades, bump the Video Card to the Radeon 4650, and thrown in the Wireless N card. The $30 speakers and $20 mouse/keyboard combo are good deals, too. I probably wouldn't buy the monitor from them, but otherwise that's a much better deal than the Dell set-up I mentioned above.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#11
you need a nividea Geforce 9800m gs 512 Mb dedicated graphics card.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
The cure is a shotgun, the cure is whatever blunt instrument one can salvage.Whomever finds themselves too proper will be the first to perish. And you know nothing that matters now.
[/COLOR]
Reply
#12
Oitenta Wrote:you need a nividea Geforce 9800m gs 512 Mb dedicated graphics card.

That's a notebook videocard...

anyways, the machine Kaden just mentioned would look something like this:

[spoiler][Image: 90673609.jpg][/spoiler]

That's with a 20 inch monitor too.
[Image: 22173.png]
Give waffuru an internets today!
[Image: 1324033725.png]
Reply
#13
Sweet. Thanks a bunch guys. I probably won't be buying for at least a month (probably two), so if any of you hear news of a great deal or some such, be sure to let me know.

I'll probably end up with something very close to Waff's latest post.
Reply
#14
Where should I go about getting a monitor from? NewEgg?
Reply
#15
Of the twenty minutes I spent looking earlier, they had the best prices.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#16
Never get a pre-built ever.

Edit: And yeah Newegg is pretty awesome for prices.
[Image: Bellesig6-1.jpg]
Reply
#17
Belle Hibiki Wrote:Never get a pre-built ever.

Pshh depends on who you get a prebuilt from
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
The cure is a shotgun, the cure is whatever blunt instrument one can salvage.Whomever finds themselves too proper will be the first to perish. And you know nothing that matters now.
[/COLOR]
Reply
#18
Belle Hibiki Wrote:Never get a pre-built ever.


This is false. In many cases it is a delightful option.
[Image: Dirty_Harry.png]
Reply
#19
Ive been nothing but happy with my prebuilt Asus G series gaming laptop. I paid a grand for it and it has far outreached my expectations. I can play any god dang game I want on full settings with no problems what so ever.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
The cure is a shotgun, the cure is whatever blunt instrument one can salvage.Whomever finds themselves too proper will be the first to perish. And you know nothing that matters now.
[/COLOR]
Reply
#20
Kami Wrote:This is false. In many cases it is a delightful option.

This is very true, especially if you're not comfortable putting the computer together yourself- or you need peripherals.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)