10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
In the United States, 37 million people live in poverty. Poverty means to say that these people do not make an income that supports themselves. The required income of a person under 65 has to be below about $9,500 (a year) before they will be considered "living in poverty". 37 million people do not make $9,500 a year.
Why does this happen? Simply put, because you and I do nothing to stop it. You ignore it, you claim "I don't have any money to give!". There are more then a few places who need your time and volunteering. If you don't have money to give, give time. Truly, if you say you do not money to give it is because you are choosing to have no money to give. If you choose practicability over vanity for a month and donate the money you save you will not see a decrease in your standard of living. You will get to eat. You will still have a home. While not designer clothes, you will still be clothed. The $500 you want to spend on that purse could improve someone's life leaps and bounds. And to think if people other then yourself were to do the same, poverty could all but vanish.
But it doesn't. We still have 37 million people starving in our streets because we choose inaction. We choose to do nothing, to ignore and to pretend everything is okay. These are our cities, our homes, our lives.. and what kind of people would we be if we did not try to better them? I'm not even talking about foreign countries, distant lands. No, right now I'm just talking about the here and the now.
I am going to go so far as to say, this poverty is your fault. These people are starving directly because of something you did. More truly, something you have not done. Accept responisbilty for your inaction. You are the reflection of mankind, and to do nothing is to believe that mankind will also do nothing.
Another crisis fueled by our unwillingness to help is HIV/AIDS. Globally, there are about 40 million people living with HIV/AIDS. I'm not sure the number truly has the impact it should. 40,000,000 people. That's the population of New York City five times over or the entire population of Spain.
40,000,000 people is a lot of people.
Why do these people have to live with this condition? It is because you and I have not made the choice to cure this disease. With enough money and brilliant people anything is possible. There are plenty of both in this world today, so what's the problem? Inaction, once again. The majority of people have chosen to stray from donating their time, their money, and their minds.
Humor me for a moment, it is reasonable to say that you could come up with a dollar, correct? I have at least a dollar in change on my desk as I write this. I do not believe it unreasonable to say that you could find a dollar, or skip that candy bar from the vending machine after lunch and have a dollar.
It is pretty much general knowledge that there are 6 billion people living on this Earth. There is an estimated 30% unemployment rate globally but let's be generous with that number and say that only 3 billion people are able donators.
I'm sure you see what this is headed, it's reasonable to say that these 3 billion able donators could spare a dollar a month. If these people would chose action, and donate these $12 every year there would be an additional $36,000,000,000 in aid. (36 billion dollars). There's a little fluxuation in this number, some people may not give as much and some may give more.
Where does this money go now? Lottery tickets, cigarettes, coffee and chocolate bars. I'm sure these corporations would not be happy about $36 billion dollars in lost business, but I bet the people who benefit would be much more grateful then these corporate giants currently are.
The message here is that this is your problem. Our problem.
If we don't do anything about it... who will?
Why does this happen? Simply put, because you and I do nothing to stop it. You ignore it, you claim "I don't have any money to give!". There are more then a few places who need your time and volunteering. If you don't have money to give, give time. Truly, if you say you do not money to give it is because you are choosing to have no money to give. If you choose practicability over vanity for a month and donate the money you save you will not see a decrease in your standard of living. You will get to eat. You will still have a home. While not designer clothes, you will still be clothed. The $500 you want to spend on that purse could improve someone's life leaps and bounds. And to think if people other then yourself were to do the same, poverty could all but vanish.
But it doesn't. We still have 37 million people starving in our streets because we choose inaction. We choose to do nothing, to ignore and to pretend everything is okay. These are our cities, our homes, our lives.. and what kind of people would we be if we did not try to better them? I'm not even talking about foreign countries, distant lands. No, right now I'm just talking about the here and the now.
I am going to go so far as to say, this poverty is your fault. These people are starving directly because of something you did. More truly, something you have not done. Accept responisbilty for your inaction. You are the reflection of mankind, and to do nothing is to believe that mankind will also do nothing.
Another crisis fueled by our unwillingness to help is HIV/AIDS. Globally, there are about 40 million people living with HIV/AIDS. I'm not sure the number truly has the impact it should. 40,000,000 people. That's the population of New York City five times over or the entire population of Spain.
40,000,000 people is a lot of people.
Why do these people have to live with this condition? It is because you and I have not made the choice to cure this disease. With enough money and brilliant people anything is possible. There are plenty of both in this world today, so what's the problem? Inaction, once again. The majority of people have chosen to stray from donating their time, their money, and their minds.
Humor me for a moment, it is reasonable to say that you could come up with a dollar, correct? I have at least a dollar in change on my desk as I write this. I do not believe it unreasonable to say that you could find a dollar, or skip that candy bar from the vending machine after lunch and have a dollar.
It is pretty much general knowledge that there are 6 billion people living on this Earth. There is an estimated 30% unemployment rate globally but let's be generous with that number and say that only 3 billion people are able donators.
I'm sure you see what this is headed, it's reasonable to say that these 3 billion able donators could spare a dollar a month. If these people would chose action, and donate these $12 every year there would be an additional $36,000,000,000 in aid. (36 billion dollars). There's a little fluxuation in this number, some people may not give as much and some may give more.
Where does this money go now? Lottery tickets, cigarettes, coffee and chocolate bars. I'm sure these corporations would not be happy about $36 billion dollars in lost business, but I bet the people who benefit would be much more grateful then these corporate giants currently are.
The message here is that this is your problem. Our problem.
If we don't do anything about it... who will?


![[Image: RadOct.jpg]](http://frozendust.com/sig/raditzu/RadOct.jpg)
![[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]](http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5609/tobiasyu5.jpg)
![[Image: Minoshiav2.png]](http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/Aerogfx/sigs/Minoshiav2.png)
![[Image: HFSeventeen.jpg]](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/hf17/HFSeventeen.jpg)