Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.
So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Posts: 28
Threads: 61
Joined: Nov 2006
I've made this thread AT LEAST twice.
The Redwall Series.
Read it, its a good series of books, and definitely my favorite. :]
![[Image: Gramps.jpg]](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/makshido/Gramps.jpg)
ありがとう人造人間18号
Posts: 0
Threads: 89
Joined: May 2007
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.
Posts: 169
Threads: 575
Joined: Oct 2001
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.
speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.
"I'm gonna fuck that unicorrrrrn"
Posts: 0
Threads: 89
Joined: May 2007
Quote:Originally posted by Reijin
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.
speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.
Yeah a POOP sandwich.
Posts: 169
Threads: 575
Joined: Oct 2001
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
Quote:Originally posted by Reijin
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.
speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.
Yeah a POOP sandwich.
Pimp hand is strong
"I'm gonna fuck that unicorrrrrn"
Posts: 0
Threads: 11
Joined: Jan 2007
Blech, I hate Spam.
Anyway, I'm a big fan of Gene Wolfe.
Greg0rz (3:16:14 PM): if you cut Michael Moore, he would bleed cheese and bacon grease?
UltimoDemon (3:16:26 PM): I think that is very likely, yes.
Greg0rz (3:16:34 PM): *scribbles down*
Greg0rz (3:16:45 PM): do you mind if I quote you?
UltimoDemon (3:16:49 PM): Not at all.
Posts: 18
Threads: 13
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:Originally posted by Bojack
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.
So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.
Another Philp K Dick fan hey! I've been a fan of Philip K Dick for years. Read so many of his stories, he just amazes me in his writing. The first story I ever read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I got it in the Minority Report Short Stories collection, but my favoutite in that would have to be. Second Variety. I thought it was great.
Have you ever read Valis by Philip K Dick?
If so what did you think of it?
Posts: 33
Threads: 344
Joined: Nov 2004
My ex-roommate likes "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" or whatever. It was kinda strange, as a bunch of us college freshies were all in a group, talking about our favorite books. Lord of the Rings got tossed around, as did Pride and Prejudice. Then, out of nowhere, Cam throws in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Gotta admit, I laughed. I thought he was joking.
He wasn't. =/
I'm currently reading through Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroeux) and Clear and Present Danger (Tom Clancy).
Posts: 63
Threads: 218
Joined: Jan 2005
First three 'Dune' books.
The Giver
When the Legends Die
First Thomas Covenant series
The Dune 'House' prequels
Marvel and DC Encyclopedias
The Crucibal
Hamlet, Midsummer's Night Dream, Othello
Dante's Abyss 2007 Runner-Up
Posts: 33
Threads: 344
Joined: Nov 2004
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver
Second'd.
Posts: 0
Threads: 31
Joined: Oct 2004
I enjoyed Wicked. It was the first non-Star Wars book that I had read in a very long time.
Posts: 11
Threads: 18
Joined: Nov 2006
Stephen King. I think I have about half his novels, but I'm gradually working my way up.
Posts: 63
Threads: 218
Joined: Jan 2005
Quote:Originally posted by Metal Teemer
I enjoyed Wicked. It was the first non-Star Wars book that I had read in a very long time.
The musical is infitly better then the book. There was only one part I actually liked. It just strayed WAY to far from the source material.
Dante's Abyss 2007 Runner-Up
Posts: 9
Threads: 126
Joined: Jun 2005
Quote:Originally posted by Krillin
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver
Second'd.
Third'd'd. ;>.>
Quote:Canera411: God is into anime.
darknessreign555: Well, he had to will it for a reason.
darknessreign555: "You know what I need, Archangel?"
darknessreign555: "What's that, sir?"
darknessreign555: "Animated knockers. Get on it."
Posts: 66
Threads: 242
Joined: Jan 2006
Pretty much anything Laurell K. Hamilton
Jeff Long's The Descent. This book kicks so many asses. First non poon book I've read and liked. >.> Yay sci fi!
James' Reese's Book of Shadows. Jesus, this guy...
MaryJanice Davidson's series. Pretty good.
As far as classics: Eh... I got an assortment.
Fuck you, Photobucket.
Posts: 33
Threads: 344
Joined: Nov 2004
Classics > Pretty much everything else.
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:Originally posted by Pikkon
Quote:Originally posted by Bojack
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.
So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.
Another Philp K Dick fan hey! I've been a fan of Philip K Dick for years. Read so many of his stories, he just amazes me in his writing. The first story I ever read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I got it in the Minority Report Short Stories collection, but my favoutite in that would have to be. Second Variety. I thought it was great.
Have you ever read Valis by Philip K Dick?
If so what did you think of it?
I haven't read Valis... I'm probably gonna read that one next, or The Man in The High Castle.
Krillin: What was wrong with Do Androids Dream? I thought it was pretty great, just not as great as the other two by him I read.
William Gibson > Stephen King
/public service announcement
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Posts: 28
Threads: 61
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver
Hey Jack, this was the book I was talking about last night. XD
![[Image: Gramps.jpg]](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/makshido/Gramps.jpg)
ありがとう人造人間18号
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:Originally posted by Grandpa Gohan
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver
Hey Jack, this was the book I was talking about last night. XD
The one with the black and white part?
Wow, you were way off.
Somebody explain the concept of the book. Everyone seems to lub it. I remember the students that failed seventh grade having to read it, and that soured my tastes from ever picking it up.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
|