Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Good Books
#1
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.

So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Reply
#2
I've made this thread AT LEAST twice.

The Redwall Series.

Read it, its a good series of books, and definitely my favorite. :]
[Image: Gramps.jpg]
ありがとう人造人間18号
Reply
#3
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.
[Image: Natasja.jpg]
Reply
#4
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.

speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.
[Image: reijinchefsig.jpg]

"I'm gonna fuck that unicorrrrrn"
Reply
#5
Quote:Originally posted by Reijin
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.

speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.

Yeah a POOP sandwich.
[Image: Natasja.jpg]
Reply
#6
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
Quote:Originally posted by Reijin
Quote:Originally posted by Milk Bubble
My favorite author is Charles Bukowski. He's really graphic and gritty, but he writes great poetry/short stories about being a womanizing alcoholic.

speaking of womanizing... Vegeta is still waiting on his sandwhich.

Yeah a POOP sandwich.

Pimp hand is strong
[Image: reijinchefsig.jpg]

"I'm gonna fuck that unicorrrrrn"
Reply
#7
Blech, I hate Spam.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Gene Wolfe.
Greg0rz (3:16:14 PM): if you cut Michael Moore, he would bleed cheese and bacon grease?
UltimoDemon (3:16:26 PM): I think that is very likely, yes.
Greg0rz (3:16:34 PM): *scribbles down*
Greg0rz (3:16:45 PM): do you mind if I quote you?
UltimoDemon (3:16:49 PM): Not at all.
Reply
#8
Quote:Originally posted by Bojack
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.

So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.

Another Philp K Dick fan hey! I've been a fan of Philip K Dick for years. Read so many of his stories, he just amazes me in his writing. The first story I ever read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I got it in the Minority Report Short Stories collection, but my favoutite in that would have to be. Second Variety. I thought it was great.

Have you ever read Valis by Philip K Dick?

If so what did you think of it?
Reply
#9
My ex-roommate likes "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" or whatever. It was kinda strange, as a bunch of us college freshies were all in a group, talking about our favorite books. Lord of the Rings got tossed around, as did Pride and Prejudice. Then, out of nowhere, Cam throws in "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Gotta admit, I laughed. I thought he was joking.

He wasn't. =/

I'm currently reading through Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroeux) and Clear and Present Danger (Tom Clancy).
[Image: heydudezew6.png]
Reply
#10
First three 'Dune' books.

The Giver

When the Legends Die

First Thomas Covenant series

The Dune 'House' prequels

Marvel and DC Encyclopedias

The Crucibal

Hamlet, Midsummer's Night Dream, Othello
[Image: Yamusig3copy.jpg]

Dante's Abyss 2007 Runner-Up
Reply
#11
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu

The Giver

Second'd.
[Image: heydudezew6.png]
Reply
#12
I enjoyed Wicked. It was the first non-Star Wars book that I had read in a very long time.
Reply
#13
Stephen King. I think I have about half his novels, but I'm gradually working my way up.
Reply
#14
Quote:Originally posted by Metal Teemer
I enjoyed Wicked. It was the first non-Star Wars book that I had read in a very long time.

The musical is infitly better then the book. There was only one part I actually liked. It just strayed WAY to far from the source material.
[Image: Yamusig3copy.jpg]

Dante's Abyss 2007 Runner-Up
Reply
#15
Quote:Originally posted by Krillin
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu

The Giver

Second'd.
Third'd'd. ;>.>
Quote:Canera411: God is into anime.
darknessreign555: Well, he had to will it for a reason.
darknessreign555: "You know what I need, Archangel?"
darknessreign555: "What's that, sir?"
darknessreign555: "Animated knockers. Get on it."
Reply
#16
Pretty much anything Laurell K. Hamilton

Jeff Long's The Descent. This book kicks so many asses. First non poon book I've read and liked. >.> Yay sci fi!

James' Reese's Book of Shadows. Jesus, this guy...

MaryJanice Davidson's series. Pretty good.

As far as classics: Eh... I got an assortment.
[Image: visigjune08_v2.jpg]

Fuck you, Photobucket.
Reply
#17
Classics > Pretty much everything else.
[Image: heydudezew6.png]
Reply
#18
Quote:Originally posted by Pikkon
Quote:Originally posted by Bojack
I just finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick today (the inspiration for Blade Runner). Pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. A Scanner Darkly is probably my favorite book ever, and it's because of the way the ending tugged at my emotions. This one didn't really do that... it came close, but the endings to A Scanner Darkly and We Can Build You (albeit identical) were incredible, and this one fell short. They were all written by the same guy, btw.

So... good books, GO! Old ones, new ones, favorite authors, who needs to come back to life and write more (Vonnegut you feeble old bastard ;_; )... all that stuff.

Another Philp K Dick fan hey! I've been a fan of Philip K Dick for years. Read so many of his stories, he just amazes me in his writing. The first story I ever read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I got it in the Minority Report Short Stories collection, but my favoutite in that would have to be. Second Variety. I thought it was great.

Have you ever read Valis by Philip K Dick?

If so what did you think of it?

I haven't read Valis... I'm probably gonna read that one next, or The Man in The High Castle.

Krillin: What was wrong with Do Androids Dream? I thought it was pretty great, just not as great as the other two by him I read.

William Gibson > Stephen King

/public service announcement
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Reply
#19
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver

Hey Jack, this was the book I was talking about last night. XD
[Image: Gramps.jpg]
ありがとう人造人間18号
Reply
#20
Quote:Originally posted by Grandpa Gohan
Quote:Originally posted by Yamu
The Giver

Hey Jack, this was the book I was talking about last night. XD

The one with the black and white part?

Wow, you were way off.

Somebody explain the concept of the book. Everyone seems to lub it. I remember the students that failed seventh grade having to read it, and that soured my tastes from ever picking it up.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)