Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
I haven't been into anime in a long time. Recently I got back into it. Animes I think are cool:
Cowboy Bebop (all time favorite)
Wolf's Rain (classic)
Outlaw Star (I have to watch it again, I forgot it all)
Getbackers (Im hesitant about giving this another shot... looking back, I dont think I will like it. I did when I watched some a few years ago though.)
Samurai Champloo (checking it out)
Mezzo DSA (checking it out)
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (checking it out... Josh recommended this to me)
I don't watch any of the shonen anymore. It's the reason I stopped watching anime completely for so long... I thought I outgrew the entire outform, when really I just outgrew the 'kiddie' stuff. I'm also looking for some cool ones to check out, so (looking at what I like of course) give a stab at recommendations if you feel like.
*I should point out that FMA, Ghost In The Shell, and Bleach really bore me. Bleach I haven't given a real shot yet, but the few I've seen I can tell I won't like it. Unlike Champloo, which only took me seeing 30 minutes before I knew it was for me. Naruto held me for a while but I've moved on.
What about everyone else... what do you guys like to watch? Or maybe you don't like anime anymore/at all. I wanna hear some people say that too.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
Posts: 7
Threads: 3
Joined: May 2007
Getbackers is one of my all time favorites.
Also HunterXHunter is one of my all time favorites too!
I find myself still in love with Animes... but only on a certain level.
The ones I like are usually done with, or short...
Posts: 0
Threads: 58
Joined: Apr 2007
Most anime is trash. There are two rules to play by when you're looking for anime.
1) it must not be an animated version of a manga. Manga is simply more organic, so it has a natural advantage as a story-telling medium over anime. There are many specific reasons for this, like how the dialog is changed. It's not just profanity (which is mostly intact) but manga dialog can be whatever the writer wants it to be, whereas anime has to fill up time slots which means things are occasionally added or left out. So, anime that is made from a manga is usually trash, while anime that was originally intended to be anime has a better chance (but not always) at telling the story properly.
2) it must be short (one season). Long anime series tend to be filled with junk. Sometimes it's just that certain parts of an episode are done by second-string animators to save money, or sometimes entire episodes are done by second-string animators for the same reason. Even situations where character movement should be spastic like combat can be dulled down to three-frame repeating loops, which is stupid. Shorter series that don't waste time tend to have better overall animation and environment quality, which makes it a better visual experience all-around. This is a more general rule which has a few exceptions, but it's a rule because it's generally true.
Examples: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai.
Posts: 32
Threads: 35
Joined: Oct 2006
Shin Chan is the best anime show.
Goldenboy is second, had it been more than 6 episodes, Goldenboy would easily of been #1.
Rest are eh.
Posts: 112
Threads: 443
Joined: Dec 2002
I actually disagree almost entirely with Dabura. Yeah, there's plenty of bad anime out there, but the same can be said for reality TV shows, for movies, for video games... for anything. Occasionally, a manga will work better than an anime of the same story, but nine times out of ten, I find myself liking the anime a lot more. It completely depends on your own preferences. But that's neither here nor there.
I'd recommend the following:
Black Lagoon (seasons one and two are equally amazing)
Mai Hime and Mai Otome
Shinobuden
Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fate-Stay Night
Ergo Proxy
"In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
@ Bojack: I don't know man, Bleach is pretty awesome. You should really give it more of a chance. It's like a much more refined version of DBZ, but very different.
As for my other fav. anime, I find myself veering to anything with a hint of the occult in it. The ones irritate me the most are magical girl anime, I've actually tried watching two episodes of every one out there, but it's always the same plot and series of events.
Posts: 0
Threads: 58
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:Originally posted by Raditzu
I actually disagree almost entirely with Dabura. Yeah, there's plenty of bad anime out there, but the same can be said for reality TV shows, for movies, for video games... for anything. Occasionally, a manga will work better than an anime of the same story, but nine times out of ten, I find myself liking the anime a lot more. It completely depends on your own preferences. But that's neither here nor there.
I'd recommend the following:
Black Lagoon (seasons one and two are equally amazing)
Mai Hime and Mai Otome
Shinobuden
Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fate-Stay Night
Ergo Proxy
I agree that most products of entertainment are horrible. Anime is just another product of entertainment. I used to be a Japophile because my personality resonated with the culture, but now that I'm so familiar with it I'm no longer hypnotized by something just because it comes from Japan. =O
But anime that is based on manga is almost always better in manga-form (not that I'm saying that the individual manga is worth reading, just that it's better than the anime version). Death note is one of those things, Bassilisk is another, and Dragonball, Naruto... I honestly can't think of a single anime series that is better than it's manga counter-part.
Posts: 112
Threads: 443
Joined: Dec 2002
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would agree with that (manga vs anime, that is) but its completely relative to an individuals tastes. Calling it a "rule" seems incredibly... inappropriate to me. Like I said, in all of the cases you mentioned (with the exception of Basilisk: I haven't seen or read any of it) I prefer the anime over the manga. I also know that there are others out there that share my point of view.
"In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
Posts: 7
Threads: 35
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:Originally posted by Mighty Dabura
I used to be a Japophile because my personality resonated with the culture, but now that I'm so familiar with it I'm no longer hypnotized by something just because it comes from Japan. =O
I will never understand fasination with Japan. The only thing that I'd like to learn of their culture is probably their language. Just cause I think it'd be cool to know another language, besides spanish anyway (Its too common place if you live in America XD) Not that their culture is bad, just that it isn't amazing either.
Go watch FLCL. It wont make any sense, but you'll still love it.
Helsing is also another good Anime. Sure it's shorter than the manga, and the latter half is completely different, but it's damn good all the same.
As for my own favorite Animes, I'd have to go for:
Cowboy Bebop
Helsing
Chrono Crusade
Excel Saga
FLCL
Neon Genisis: Evangellion
FMA
Kino's Journey
Fruit's basket (I watched this before reading the Manga, and I was totally thrown away when I did get around to reading it. There's alot more to the story after the end of the Anime)
That's all I can think of right now.
Posts: 0
Threads: 58
Joined: Apr 2007
Yes, FLCL is a must-see if you're into drugs. Watch it alone, in a dark room, at night, on shrooms. It'll rock your world side-ways.
Quote:Originally posted by Raditzu
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would agree with that (manga vs anime, that is) but its completely relative to an individuals tastes. Calling it a "rule" seems incredibly... inappropriate to me. Like I said, in all of the cases you mentioned (with the exception of Basilisk: I haven't seen or read any of it) I prefer the anime over the manga. I also know that there are others out there that share my point of view.
Well, if you're counting personal taste as a deciding factor on what's "good" then eating shit can be pretty entertaining, too. I like some anime series that don't apply to the rules but I can't really recommend them because I know there are glaring flaws that will put people off (poor art, bad writing). The objective of the two-rule anime rating system is to cut out the crap because there's just too much anime to watch it all.
Also, read Basilisk. It's the Romeo and Juliet of ninja manga. http://mangarun.com/basilisk/
Posts: 13
Threads: 41
Joined: Jul 2006
Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, and Bleach.
I've seen Cowboy Bebop, Inyuyasha, and and Rurnoi Kenshim all when they were con Cartoonnetwrok, and enjoyed them a lot during the time, but I'd need to rewatch some of them to remember if I truley would add them to my favorites list.
Posts: 59
Threads: 188
Joined: May 2006
In order from favorite on down:
FLCL
Blue Gender
DBZ
Naruto
Placed 3rd in Dante's Abyss 08
Posts: 7
Threads: 54
Joined: Jan 2007
Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT (Shut the hell up), Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, Bleach, Ultimate Muscle, Street Fighter series and movies, FMA and...uh....hmm...I tried getting into Tenjho Tenge, but the characters all fucking sucked and the fight scenes weren't always that good.
Some of them made me pee myself, but others were shit, and the characters didn't make it worth watching. The only guy I liked was the main guy. I liked Bob, but he turns into a retard very soon into the series and almost all the women are whores.
The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, If I tell you I'm no good, You know I'm lying.
Posts: 0
Threads: 80
Joined: Nov 2006
Elfen Lied (<3 Akane)
DBZ (>.>)
Naruto
FMA
Uh... can't think of anymore. =/
Posts: 7
Threads: 54
Joined: Jan 2007
If anyone has, or does post that they don't like DBZ, I will crush their heads like so many beer cans.
The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, If I tell you I'm no good, You know I'm lying.
Posts: 0
Threads: 80
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
Threads: 342
Joined: Feb 2004
Death Note pulled me back into anime. Well manga, then by that way into anime. I haven't even watched the series having read it. But my old favs (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, DBZ, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Kenshin) are joined by newly discovered ones, old and new, like Haruhi, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Alchemist, Evangelion, Ergo Proxy(first part anyway), and for some inexplicable reason Elf ban Kakyuusei.
Sinners make the best Saints
![[Image: tobiasyu5.jpg]](http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5609/tobiasyu5.jpg)
Posts: 31
Threads: 56
Joined: Oct 2006
Dragonball
Elfen Lied
Shin Chan
Tenchi
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Lucky Star
Gundam Wing
Black Cat
Blood
Yu Yu Hakusho
Posts: 0
Threads: 80
Joined: Nov 2006
Oh yeah, Tenchi. I used to watch those.
|