06-29-2007, 04:32 AM
You guys don't seem to be looking at this from the viewpoint of someone that doesn't love video games.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
-Slash
|
Video Game Addiction: Mental Illness?
|
|
06-29-2007, 04:32 AM
You guys don't seem to be looking at this from the viewpoint of someone that doesn't love video games.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
06-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Bojack Wrote:You guys don't seem to be looking at this from the viewpoint of someone that doesn't love video games. That's a flat out bad argument. ![]() ありがとう人造人間18号
06-29-2007, 04:42 AM
I wasn simply saying there are much bigger matters to figure out how to stop then video game addiction.
Why Video Games? Why not people *watching* television? Isn't the average television to family ratio 6 in America?
Akane Kimidori Wrote:I wasn simply saying there are much bigger matters to figure out how to stop then video game addiction. Television addiction is still a huge problem in America. Doug that's not a bad argument. Everyone in this thread is a gamer and every post has had a biased tone because of their own experience with video games. We aren't talking about the experiences of people that aren't addicted to video games. We're talking about those that don't know how to stop playing. For example, I have had alcohol before, and I didn't become an alcoholic. Does that mean alcoholism is an ignorant concept? No, it just means I didn't become an alcoholic. I, not everyone else that has ever picked up a glass of hootch. Just like how everyone that picks up a video game doesnt know where to draw the line/when stop playing/go the fuck outside/not die of heart failure because they had nothing to eat for 40 hours.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
06-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Then what do you want people to say, Bojack? Addictions are a problem. All of them.
That's what's been said, and that's all there is to it. ![]() "In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Bojack Wrote:Television addiction is still a huge problem in America. I am a gamer, yes. But that's not to say that I don't have non-bias opinions on the subject. I merely meant that you could apply what they're saying to any medium that exists. I re-read my first post in this thread and its somewhat contradictory; so let me clarify(For my own benfit and anyone else who might be confused): Yes, Krillin is correct that its psychological problem. I was merely listing objects which people would attach themselves to and in-turn become addicted to. I do think there are certain things in which would help someone become addicted to that object though(Nicotine in cigarettes for example). ![]() ありがとう人造人間18号
Addiction can be psychological underlying issues or the object of addiction itself. It's like how there is more than one type of herpes. If that helps. >.>
Like Greg said, MMOs are a prime example of how video games themselves can be addictive. There is the possibility that someone can become too attached to that feeling of progress/achievement. In the case of other games, even if it isn't the game itself causing the person to play it to the extreme, it is still considered an addiction because they are playing it too much. It's just that simple. >.< Haven't we all heard of the terms 'Digital crack' and 'Evercrack'? The shit can fuck you up fo realz. And I don't think it is right for corporations like Blizzard to make these games that are meant to consume your life, and then turn around and blame mental problems for the kids that become fucked up playing it. It's irresponsible in my opinion.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
06-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I heard Evercrack, but we all know MMO's are supposed to be addictive because the main purpose is to be a time/money sinkhole. But while I've heard of evercrack, I've also heard of work-a-holics. Are they not the same thing? Isn't that the same thing that you said? If they get stuff done and get a promotion because they were diligent(or to make my point: addicted), wouldn't that be the equivalent to a level-up in an MMO?
![]() ありがとう人造人間18号
06-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Being a workaholic, in my opinion, is no worse than suffering from any other kind of addiction.
![]() "In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
06-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Except you have something to show for your time and effort that isn't some 2 D image in a virual world. Sorry, but being a workaholic and being addicted to Video games is not on the same level, no where near it for that matter.
06-29-2007, 10:29 PM
How is it not? You still get the feelings of accomplishment. You still get sick if you neglect your health do you not get sick. "Even though I have the flu I have to go to work today!"
You've heard the term(idiocy? ) "working yourself into the ground"? Where exactly to you think something like that would have come from in the first place? ![]() ありがとう人造人間18号
06-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Bojack, I'm not a gaming-addict. Neither are you. Thus, I'm fairly certain that our views on the subject of gaming addiction are quite parallel.
I'll be flat-out honest, I haven't really heard a good, logical argument from you thus far. Your stance could potentially be a valid one, but unfortunately, you're the only one representing it on this forum so far, so you have a rough time as is.
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Becuase when you work you have something to show for it. You have actual Money. There is a reason to be a workaholic, its so you can get out of debt, or simply so you can fill your life with shit you don't need. I feel I am a workaholic. Over the past 3 weeks I have had 2 days off. I have been sick the last 3 days and I still come into work...why, becuase I need the money.
Playing a video game doesn't offer you anything to show for other then being a level up on the next person. When has anyone ever given two shits about an evercrack player gaining a level. It doesn't transfer to the real world. Playing a game to level up is more for a sense of pride. Working is more for making ends meat, and getting through life. They are two completely diffrent things that can't be compared.
06-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Murasaki Wrote:Becuase when you work you have something to show for it. You have actual Money. There is a reason to be a workaholic, its so you can get out of debt, or simply so you can fill your life with shit you don't need. I feel I am a workaholic. Over the past 3 weeks I have had 2 days off. I have been sick the last 3 days and I still come into work...why, becuase I need the money. Wasn't talking about people who go to work because they need money. I wasn't even talking about people who put in a bunch of overtime. I'm talking about people who don't stop working. Its just as unhealthy to only assosciate yourself with your occupation as it is to do so with a make-believe character in a virtual world. It has nothing to do with whether or not you get something out of it, it has to do with the level upon which you rely on a given activity. Doesn't matter if its a video game, drinking something, smoking something, or working. ![]() "In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Workaholics that suffer from ulcers, family trouble, etc. are great examples of your argument. But people that bury themselves in their career and come out the other side financially secure and in good health? There is nothing wrong with that. We all can go on marathon gaming sessions and come out the other end prepared to do other, more constructive things, so there is nothing wrong with that either. But someone that comes out on the other end socially inept/dead, I have a problem with that.
The difference between a job and a game however, is that a game yields false progress. Other than Second Life, where you can buy and sell virtual real estate, gaming leagues, or leveling characters on MMOs for cash, they don't give you anything to show for it. Someone can prove me wrong, but I find that to be the case. Which is fine, unless you do it too much. Just like drinking, which can be fun until you do it too much. I don't know how many more analogies I can make here. <.< Doug just proved my point saying that MMOs are meant to be addictive, as did Greg. Sooooooo, what's the debate? I'm taking it a step further by saying that any game can be addictive, which I don't feel is so out there. Everybody keeps saying 'well what about this, or what about that? those are problems too!1!', well we aren't talking about anything else. We are talking about video game addiction, which is real. It has been real for quite some time.
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
You can become addicted to Video Games. However, equalising Drugs and Video Games isn`t very valid.
If you take drugs, you actually consume them and the drugs themselves cause and support your addiction. Allthough most addictions are related to some specific social problem, this isnt neccesarilly the case with Drugs. Addiction to drugs can even start with simple things such as curiosity. Video games, on the other hand, are harmless by themselves. They neither cause nor support your addiction. It becomes an addiction only if you try to use it as a filler for something your lacking. MMO`s greatly differ from other genres. Allthough other games also have a way to contact other people, that contact is usually limited to bare basics. For example, you can connect to an opponent to play a game of RTS and only say hello and goodbye. MMORPG`s, on the other hand, work as centers of social contact, similarily like chatrooms, forums and the like. But this isn`t neccesarilly bad. World of Warcraft, besides producing "junkies", is also famous for causing several marriages. So the point is this. Video games by themselves are harmless and can even prove beneficial as long as you dont use them to compensate for something. When you start doing that, then it becomes an addiction.
06-30-2007, 07:25 PM
You misunderstood what I was getting at. Just as you called me bias I could easily do the same thing since your arguments are extremely one sided. The chance of being socially inept/dead from work is less, but it still happens.
Being a mortician is a great example of how someone could become socially inept - If all you do all day everyday is interact with a dead person, theres no way that your going to be able to interact with a live one. Same with construction workers. I mentioned working yourself into the ground earlier - This is a great example of that. If your working on a sky scraper, and your doing it all day everyday, your body is bound to get worn out/tired. Normally you would take a break, but if your a workaholic(read: Addicted), then you probably wont. What happens if he were to slip from a high enough place? I don't think its fair for anyone to single out one thing and say its bad because someone who wasn't able to make the call when to stop got hurt is fair(the world isn't fair, I know). Everyone should take things in moderation. Honestly my opinion is its no ones fault except the person who got hurt by it. I remember a while back, some dude(He was a little slow in the head) offed himself because of something that happened to his character on Everquest. I heard that his mom was going to sue whoever produces it and I said right off the bat that was bullshit(I wasn't aware he was mentally handicap). It's not the gaming industry's fault if someone doesn't regulate themselves and in turn injure themselves. ![]() ありがとう人造人間18号
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
"Addiction is a dependence on a behavior or sub-stance that a person is powerless to stop. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one sub-stance or process."
"We pissed away all the money on rock n' roll."
-Slash
06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Bojack Wrote:"Addiction is a dependence on a behavior or sub-stance that a person is powerless to stop. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one sub-stance or process." Which changes what exactly?
07-01-2007, 12:19 AM
I have to agree with Jackie, that doesn't change anything.
I listed extremes in my argument, but isn't that what being addicted to a game to the point of death is? If that's not an extreme I don't know what is. ![]() ありがとう人造人間18号 |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|