Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
tricked you ahaha
Seriously, I need to decide between XP or Vista on a laptop. I hear Vista hogs like a sumbitch, and not only that, this refurbished model comes with Vista Business. Idk if that's worse but w/e.
Anyway, the system specs are Intel C2D 2.0, Nvidia 8600, 2GB RAM, good enough hard drive, don't care about the rest. I dont want to hear any of this 'that system blowz, because it doesn't. I've done my research and people can run Crysis, Bioshock, and CoD4 with those specs on med-high settings.
But should I pay an extra 70 or so bucks to buy a new one with XP instead? Or do games run ok in Vista? I had Vista on my old comp, only 512 MB memory, so my opinion will be biased. And I'm hearing Vista + games = fail unless the system is a monster to begin with. Is that true?
Posts: 85
Threads: 174
Joined: Jan 2004
Well, I imagine that eventually XP will go the way of the dinosaur, but I have used Vista and it is, at least for now, very frustrating.
But if you recall, XP was horrible when it first came out, too. I've never had trouble with my copy. *Shrug*
Vista shoor looks purdy, though.
I imagine it would run fine with a more powerful computer, but that's neither here nor there. I'm no computer guy, so I'd probably just go with whatever someone more adept with this crap suggests. Or whichever I thought was cooler.
"I wasted time and now time doth waste me."
"I just made you up to hurt myself, and it worked."
Posts: 16
Threads: 135
Joined: Jul 2006
That's a pretty good laptop right there. I thought you said you only had, like, $300 to spend?
Posts: 112
Threads: 443
Joined: Dec 2002
There's only one game I ran into problems with on Vista, and that was more the game's fault than Vista's. (The Witcher, btw)
Overall, though, I'd suggest getting the Vista. With the exception of User Account Control, I like Vista more than XP in pretty much every way. And I was very skeptical when I switched.
"In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
Posts: 0
Threads: 119
Joined: Jun 2007
You won't be able to run Crysis, but still it's good.
There's no reason to get XP, especially not for extra money. The biggest issue with Vista is drivers and at this point, most of the driver issues have been solved.
Anyone who thinks XP is better than Vista is just being a fag, and if for some reason it's running slowly you can turn off Aero and turn it into a better coded XP.
![[Image: 22173.png]](http://internetometer.com/image/22173.png)
Give waffuru an internets today!
![[Image: 1324033725.png]](http://speedtest.net/result/1324033725.png)
Posts: 74
Threads: 160
Joined: Apr 2006
ONly thing I've run into an issue with Vista s far, is the fact that the last few seconds of a song I play on media player... has a skip of sorts... but IM sure if I do an update thats it will be fixed. I'm to lazy and it seems all I can get is dial up aroundhere at the moment lol
First and current League Champion: Holder of the Torrent badge of Earth.
Reb: ya know
Reb: I think you're a fucking moron OOC
Reb: but I have to hand it to you
Reb: you've turned into a really good writer
Posts: 112
Threads: 443
Joined: Dec 2002
That's because you're using WMP.
=(
"In this world, his world, life is just a game you play"
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
Sazuaa Wrote:That's a pretty good laptop right there. I thought you said you only had, like, $300 to spend?
It was initially 600, but I did more research and it stretched a lot.
@Waffuru: because of Vista I won't be able to run Crysis, or the specs themselves? Because most people say their similar system can run it, and I've seen vids of people running it on similar systems. Similar meaning maybe they had .2GHZ more processor speed or something.
Posts: 0
Threads: 119
Joined: Jun 2007
Because of specs. Crysis is one of the worst system hogs ever created. It was almost like they intentionally didn't know that loading all of the hi-res textures for a map at once was a stupid idea. It's become a benchmark, almost, it say that you can run Crysis at a playable framerate. You're definitely going to be running it on lowest settings.
And no one can run the last level.
![[Image: 22173.png]](http://internetometer.com/image/22173.png)
Give waffuru an internets today!
![[Image: 1324033725.png]](http://speedtest.net/result/1324033725.png)
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
The only real issue with Vista is RAM. It takes 1gb just to run the OS properly, then if you want to do anything else, you need more. 2gb should run pretty well, so there's no worry.
I still use XP, and I have no desire to change to Vista. When I bother to get a laptop, I'll get Vista on that, but mostly because that's the way it will eventually go. So if you want to future proof it, get Vista.
Posts: 0
Threads: 119
Joined: Jun 2007
You shouldn't have less than 1gb of RAM for any reason anymore. Hell, I'm running 4gb of RAM and might even upgrade to 8gb.
![[Image: 22173.png]](http://internetometer.com/image/22173.png)
Give waffuru an internets today!
![[Image: 1324033725.png]](http://speedtest.net/result/1324033725.png)
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
Waffuru Wrote:You shouldn't have less than 1gb of RAM for any reason anymore. Hell, I'm running 4gb of RAM and might even upgrade to 8gb.
I see plenty of people at work buy a laptop with Vista with less than 1gb in it.
Not a real lotta point in going to 8gb at the moment though, is there?
Posts: 16
Threads: 135
Joined: Jul 2006
My sisters got laptops with roughly 1gb of RAM and they don't seem to have any problems. I heard you need 500mb to run Vista, not 1gb like someone mentioned earlier.
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
Sazuaa Wrote:My sisters got laptops with roughly 1gb of RAM and they don't seem to have any problems. I heard you need 500mb to run Vista, not 1gb like someone mentioned earlier.
If you want to run anything else besides Vista, it's definitely recommended to have more than 512mb of RAM.
Posts: 0
Threads: 119
Joined: Jun 2007
8gb of RAM would let me turn off my paging file and would increase system performance.
Although, the best upgrade I could make right now is moving the Operating System to a Solid State Disk. It is a hard drive that uses memory banks instead of a platter and can read data about 20 times faster than your standard platter drive.
Unfortunately, they're both small in capacity and expensive. A 64gb SSD is going to cost you over $1,000 USD.
![[Image: 22173.png]](http://internetometer.com/image/22173.png)
Give waffuru an internets today!
![[Image: 1324033725.png]](http://speedtest.net/result/1324033725.png)
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
PWND
Dell is having a deal on the Vostro this week, so I'm only going to be paying about 850 for a 2.4 GHZ C2D, 8600GT, and I might go with 3 gigs of RAM instead of 2. YAYAAYAYAAYAY.
Posts: 0
Threads: 119
Joined: Jun 2007
Eww a Dell. =(
I hope you don't have any problems with it, their support is known for not knowing anything.
![[Image: 22173.png]](http://internetometer.com/image/22173.png)
Give waffuru an internets today!
![[Image: 1324033725.png]](http://speedtest.net/result/1324033725.png)
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
Dell = ftl.
A system like that for under 900 = ftw.
Posts: 16
Threads: 135
Joined: Jul 2006
You lucky son of a bitch.
I wish I knew a few things about graphics cards before I got this laptop, now I'm stuck with this sucky NVIDIA Geforce 7150. ;[
Posts: 4
Threads: 119
Joined: Sep 2006
And I'm used to having to figure out what's wrong with my computer all by myself. =(
What did you get?
|