Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Regarding Quests
#1
When formatting and offering a quest, why not offer a general expected word count? Or, perhaps, an expected minimum post count (with the assumption that the average post should be around 1k words)? It seems to me that would clarify the current ambiguity in expected length as it pertains to various rewards (aka: the higher the rewards, the more length expected).

I just think it would help, more than it would hurt, to give people a general aiming point as it relates to thread length.
Roster | Character Vault | Last RP

[Image: AquasigII-1.jpg]
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails
at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply
#2
This has been suggested before.

Staff believes that it's better not to, just because when a general word count is given, people generally won't go above and beyond that. Plus, some people wouldn't be able to accomplish a goal in that amount of words, with poorer RPing skills, etc.

It really boils down to - everyone's different, and word expectations kind of limit your potential.
"Maria..."
[Image: Sullivanbarscopy.jpg]
"...my star...'"
Quote:frickinegg 4:46 pm
To me, the thread is less about criticizing/defending Avatar and more about wondering how stoned Jack was when he saw the movie/made the thread.
Reply
#3
I can see, and understand that point.

However, i can't help but feel that that is already the case. People are already, generally, doing as little as they can to get the rewards. At least this way, the staff can insure that the rewards are earned and far less subjective.
Roster | Character Vault | Last RP

[Image: AquasigII-1.jpg]
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails
at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply
#4
I see what you're saying. I'm just stating that staff probably won't do it.

I'm not saying the idea is totally ridiculous. It's not. Just, if someone like Raditzu attempted a quest, and someone like I did...who do you think could include the necessary quality in the expected word count?

Which brings up this issue - some people just aren't good enough to have earned the rewards they ask for by the word count. So they wouldn't get better, because they'll never shoot for higher.

As vague as I'm being, I think you probably get what I'm saying.
"Maria..."
[Image: Sullivanbarscopy.jpg]
"...my star...'"
Quote:frickinegg 4:46 pm
To me, the thread is less about criticizing/defending Avatar and more about wondering how stoned Jack was when he saw the movie/made the thread.
Reply
#5
True, and i do see what you're saying.

Though, could it not be assumed that if a lesser writer wanted to acheive the same rewards, they would have to go above the minimum in length? therefore, learning and improving themselves? Maybe that's a stretch... but i would think it's a more likely solution than the alternative...
Roster | Character Vault | Last RP

[Image: AquasigII-1.jpg]
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails
at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply
#6
Quote:Originally posted by Aqua
However, i can't help but feel that that is already the case. People are already, generally, doing as little as they can to get the rewards. At least this way, the staff can insure that the rewards are earned and far less subjective.

I would argue that its harder to ensure the rewards are earned with a flat word count. Additionally, it doesn't challenge the writer. I could sit down, hash out 3,000 words of Kirano-level roleplaying and get absolutely nothing out of it as a writer. Or, I could pump out 1,500 words of my best writing and feel completely fulfilled with the process.

Additionally, its not hard to tell when someone hasn't put any effect into a quest. We'd get crap like "Gohan shoots Goku and wins the fight for the world. Hooray Beer!" that doesn't make any sense and is just to fill the word count. At which point the "author" jumps up and down, yelling about having enough words and the staff can then do one of two things:

1) give a reward to someone who doesn't deserve it

2) tell them what they need to do in order to fulfill the quest requirements and ignore the word count, which is what we already do.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#7
Ah, I see. Though i was under the understanding that the word count would still be subject (if not secondary) to the current value requirements. IE: the word count would be the bare minimum for an "A" level writer. i guess that might make things to complicated. But i do think it's possible to combine length requirements with quality requirements.
Roster | Character Vault | Last RP

[Image: AquasigII-1.jpg]
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails
at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply
#8
Sure its possible, but all it really does is make more work for everyone. Honestly, I abhorr having to think about my word count when I write. I add in shit without even realizing it. Additionally, now the staff have to go through and verify all the word counts out there.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#9
I like word count, makes me strive to reach my goal. I always try to keep the writing well done as well.
[Image: A18Oct.jpg]
DA08 Winner. "Screw them, this was her show now."
Reply
#10
My word count differs on how much I can dish out. I mean, when I have no idea where to go... It's usually really small. While, if I know what I'm going to do, I bring it out and bust some good shizit out.

Word Count doesn't mean anything really, but this was said in another RPG I was in. Word Count may not mean anything, but the more in length, the more you can fit in. Meaning more word can mean more description and such.
Reply
#11
Well, if ever you guys did want to encorperate word count, I could come up with a system for it. But Rad has a good point, it's a pain to mod finished threads now, no need to make it harder.
Roster | Character Vault | Last RP

[Image: AquasigII-1.jpg]
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails
at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)