Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Recommend A Movie Thread
#1
Recommend, review, or just talk about movies in general.

Let's see, I guess I'll start with a film that probably none of you have seen. Mean Creek. I saw it for the second time a few days ago, a really decent watch. It's a indie film, starring Macaulay Culkins younger brother, Rory. The plot is basically, there's this bully who's been picking on Rory Culkins character for a while now, so Rory's older brother and his friends make up this plan to take him to this Creek and... actually I can't quite remember what their original plan was, anyway what transpires is the bully gets knocked into the creek and drowns. It's a good film, check it out.

Uhhh, watched the Dark Knight for the second time too a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure everyone here has watched it already, so I won't bother recommending it.

Has anyone seen the sci-fi film, Sunshine? Is it worth watching?
Reply
#2
I watched Observe and Report the other day, and I came to a realization that I have been forming in my mind for quite some time:

I hate dark comedies.

Dark comedy, black comedy, black humor, whatever-the-fucked you call it, I hate it. They are these movies that are like "humor films" but have themes of drug abuse, rape, murder, gore, broken homes, disabilities, etc. So basically, you are watching a movie about bi-polar disorder, but they want you to laugh when the fucker sets himself on fire and leaps from a 30 story rooftop while yelling "Flame on!".

That didn't really happen in this movie, but there is a lot of disturbing shit. Like at one point, after a (admittedly) hilarious scene, a guy gets shot at point blank range with a .45 caliber handgun and blood goes everywhere. I believe film makers call this "shock value". I call it "stupid fucking bullshit". Unless the object of such a technique is to ruin my appetite and make me want to cry.

I just don't get it. When is daterape ever funny? When is someone going all Columbine in the middle of a mall funny? Or is the humor thrown in to lighten the blow of the depressing and disturbing shit? Even still, it doesn't work. It's just dumb. Not a good combination at all. The movie had good points and it had very bad, depressing points. The only other movie I've ever seen like this was Natural Born Killers, which I didn't finish because it disgusted the fuck out of me. If I wasn't 20 minutes late for Observe and Report, and if I had caught on that it was a dark comedy sooner, I would have watched something else.

On da flip side: Pineapple Express was hilarious, awesome, albeit a little long.
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Reply
#3
Watch In Bruges.
Reply
#4
Everyone in the world should be required by law to watch Reservoir Dogs.
Reply
#5
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
[Image: alext.jpg]
Reply
#6
Jax's post reminded me of a movie called Death to Smoochie. It's an absolutely hilarious dark comedy starring Edward Norton and Robin Williams. There isn't a whole lot of the drug abuse/broken homes/rape/etc that Jax said he hated, but it's still pretty dark. I highly recommend it.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#7
Metropolis. The Protomen's Mega Man-themed rock opera draws a lot from Metropolis, and speaking of which their new album was just released.

Also, the Samurai Trilogy. Probably the best old Japanese films that Kurosawa had nothing to do with.
[Image: rsz_jqvaz_1.jpg]
Reply
#8
7 Samurai? I liked it. I didn't know it was a trilogy.

I saw another one of his movies too, in Humanities class. The one where it's like 4 different accounts of a murder or something. I also want to see Throne of Blood, the "Kurosawa Hamlet".

I want to see Shogun Assassin too. RZA sampled it a lot on GZA's album Liquid Swords (which I loved), and some of the dialogue just sounds awesome. And it's cool to be able to recognize movie samples in songs.
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Reply
#9
No he said that the Samurai Trilogy was among the best Japanese films of thier era in which Kurosawa was NOT involved.
[Image: v4339d.png]
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Reply
#10
Saz Wrote:Watch In Bruges.

Looks cool.

It turns out that Observe and Report was just especially lewd/offensive. Maybe I will give the genre another chance.
Quote: "for a quarter million a year growing weed, i'd fucking be gay. with dick on the side." - Laura, on mairjuana
Reply
#11
Death to Smoochie is one of those movies that if its on TV I am sure to turn it on and watch. A certain line in Jack's post reminded me of Burn After Reading which was actually pretty good.
[Image: v4339d.png]
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Reply
#12
Burn After Reading was great.

As was In Bruges.

Edit:

"... ze alcoves"
[Image: Bellesig6-1.jpg]
Reply
#13
Six String Samurai and Dark City.

I like SSS because it was this little independent film about a guy who plays guitar and fights with a sword while he tries to get to "Lost" Vegas to become the new "King"

and I haven't seen Dark City in a while but it's very cool. All messing with your head and stuff.
[Image: Dirty_Harry.png]
Reply
#14
The Incredible Hulk, thought it was going to be long drawn out and 'blah' like the first one was(after seeing this remake/revamp I now realize the first one aint as awesome as I thought).

Center Stage...yes it's a dance flick but a good one. Fucking pimp. Go watch it NOW!

That's all I got right now, feeling really lazy.
Reply
#15
As far as dark comedies go, "You Kill Me" is all kinds of awesome as is Ben Kingsley who plays a recovering alcoholic former hitman. That role pretty much sums the movie up actually.

It's not super dark, in fact there are only a handful of deaths in the film and none of them are anything that couldn't be shown on cable TV. It's mostly awkward situations and subtle sarcasm.
[Image: Namek_Child.jpg]
Reply
#16
Anyone who hasn't seen The Departed needs to.

Hopefully most of you have, though.
[Image: Kaden2.jpg]
"It's on my brain, driving me insane.  It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine.
"
Reply
#17
Kaden Wrote:Anyone who hasn't seen The Departed needs to.

Hopefully most of you have, though.

Will you marry me?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Image: Viper-Adjusted-Mini-Sig.png]
[Image: Trixie-Mini-Sig-Fixed.png]

Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Reply
#18
As Jack mentioned, Natural Born Killers was weird as shit. Like acid trip weird. I enjoyed it, but I can't say I'd recommend it.
[Image: Ashe.jpg]
Reply
#19
Kaden Wrote:Anyone who hasn't seen The Departed needs to.

This.

Memento is a great psychological thriller. I also recommend Garden State. I used to work at a video store for four years but this is all that comes to mind.
[Image: OrionAug11.jpg]
Reply
#20
Tempo Wrote:Everyone in the world should be required by law to watch Reservoir Dogs.

Add Boondock Saints, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, Deer Hunter, Goodfellas, The Departed, Rocknrolla..

As for some funny movies...The Hangover is hillarious...I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall..and Role Models I guess...

These are all just off the top of my head that I liked and if you havn't seen you should enjoy too. Some might have been mentioned but...its late and I dont want to read everything haha
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)