Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
I've realised that a lot of you non-convicts don't understand a lot of Australian phrasing. So I'm going to condense most of what I'd say here, so you can use this as a reference.
Bonza - awesome
You little ripper/beauty - awesome
Fair Dinkum - True
To have tickets on yourself - arrogance
[insert word here] as (eg. sick as, hot as) - used interchangeably to very, really, etc. (eg. very sick, really hot)
Drop bear - aggressive koala bear that falls from the trees and mauls you
Hoop snake - snake that grabs its tail with its mouth to form a hoop, then chases you like a wheel full of venom
Yank/Yankee - American
Funnel Web Spider - Sage's biggest fear
That's all I got for now.
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
What's this thread aboot, eh?
Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
Hey I am not scared of-
FUCK YOU, ORION!
Posts: 18
Threads: 366
Joined: Jan 2006
HAI SAGE
Vad: Found my dicks btw
Vad: *DISCS
Kaz: XD!!!!XDXDXD!!
Kaz: oh man
Kaz: that was an awesome typo!
Vad: I MEANT ROUND CYLINDRICAL THINGS
Kaz: XD XD XD
Kaz: HAHAHHHAHHHAHA
Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 18
Threads: 366
Joined: Jan 2006
<3 Me rove your rong time
Vad: Found my dicks btw
Vad: *DISCS
Kaz: XD!!!!XDXDXD!!
Kaz: oh man
Kaz: that was an awesome typo!
Vad: I MEANT ROUND CYLINDRICAL THINGS
Kaz: XD XD XD
Kaz: HAHAHHHAHHHAHA
Posts: 0
Threads: 4
Joined: Mar 2010
Orion Wrote:I've realised that a lot of you non-convicts don't understand a lot of Australian phrasing. So I'm going to condense most of what I'd say here, so you can use this as a reference.
Bonza - awesome
You little ripper/beauty - awesome
Fair Dinkum - True
To have tickets on yourself - arrogance
[insert word here] as (eg. sick as, hot as) - used interchangeably to very, really, etc. (eg. very sick, really hot)
Drop bear - aggressive koala bear that falls from the trees and mauls you
Hoop snake - snake that grabs its tail with its mouth to form a hoop, then chases you like a wheel full of venom
Yank/Yankee - American
Funnel Web Spider - Sage's biggest fear
That's all I got for now.
Don't forget ..
Soz - Sorry.
That's all I got. Spent some time @ Brisby AFB back in '07.
Posts: 35
Threads: 203
Joined: Jun 2004
Pissed is more likely to mean very drunk than very angry.
Rooting is not a synonym for cheering.
My friend said I root for the red sox. That got some awkward looks.
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
Sage Wrote:Hey I am not scared of-
FUCK YOU, ORION!
<3?
Alex is right, although the meaning of "pissed" is used interchangeably between angry and drunk. You usually understand by the context of the sentence.
Posts: 0
Threads: 114
Joined: Jun 2007
![[Image: easpider122.jpg]](http://tkcollier.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/easpider122.jpg)
O hai! I broat sum appitizers, can I join?
Posts: 0
Threads: 27
Joined: Apr 2009
Holy, that is scary as hell.
Posts: 62
Threads: 370
Joined: Oct 2001
Karin Osaki Wrote:Holy, that is scary as hell.
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
04-11-2010, 11:26 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2010, 11:26 PM by Vad.)
I'm...shivering.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
Nah, that one doesn't freak me out.
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
Still nothin'.
Anyway, this is about Australian slang. LISTEN TO THE SHACKLE DRAGGER, he has things to say!
Posts: 23
Threads: 372
Joined: Jun 2004
Sage Wrote:Still nothin'.
Anyway, this is about Australian slang. LISTEN TO THE SHACKLE DRAGGER, he has things to say!
Well I'm scared out of my mind. I found a website that's a little too photo friendly. Christ.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fighting to the bitter end is an advantage when your opponent does not wish to perish.
Posts: 61
Threads: 398
Joined: Oct 2005
The only one I didn't know out of these was the hoop snake, and I was massively disappointed to find out that it doesn't exist. I was gonna buy one and call him Oroboros.
Bra Wrote:People are dumb, essentially.
Posts: 0
Threads: 114
Joined: Jun 2007
Orion Wrote:Drop bear - aggressive koala bear that falls from the trees and mauls you
Good ol' drop bear.
Posts: 5
Threads: 61
Joined: Oct 2008
You are always on the drop bear drive-thru menu.
Soz.
![[Image: Cain.jpg]](http://rebecca.florizone.com/sig/miscsig/Cain.jpg)
"No man is an island." - John Donne