Posts: 0
Threads: 27
Joined: Oct 2004
I actually just finished reading the 3rd Percy Jackson and the Olympians book. They're all fairly short reads, but still entertaining. Greek mythology is always fun, and Riordan takes it into the 21st century.
I was disappointed with the Lightning Thief movie, probably because I read the book. I'm fairly certain I would have found the movie more enjoyable had I not read the book first.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2010, 04:59 PM by Jonathan Meer.)
Wittgenstein: Lectures on the Foundations of Mathematics - Edited by some guy
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
Colonialism/Postcolonialism - Ania Loomba
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
You need to read some good ole dumb scifi/fantasy. Too much meat and potatoes.
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
I just read Thief of Time by Pratchett, if that counts.
And, first thing when I get back home, I'm re-reading His Dark Materials (Pullman).
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
I've wanted to get into pratchett for a while now, but the size of his body of work, even for me, is pretty intimidating, Only read the first half of Golden Compass. I can't remember why I stopped. Something distracted me. This happens som
Posts: 10
Threads: 585
Joined: Nov 2004
From what I've heard, you can pretty much dip in anywhere. Thief of Time seems to be as good a place as any. And it's pretty light; very Douglas Adams'-ish.
I highly recommend working through His Dark Materials. Once you get moving with it, it's just fabulous.
Posts: 0
Threads: 89
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 0
Threads: 114
Joined: Jun 2007
Jonathan Meer Wrote:I just read Thief of Time by Pratchett, if that counts.
And, first thing when I get back home, I'm re-reading His Dark Materials (Pullman).
Pratchett is the shit, he's got a very sarcastic kind of humor. Death is my favorite character in the series.
Posts: 54
Threads: 182
Joined: Apr 2008
Reading The Devil in the White City, getting ready to pick up Up in the Air because I hearted the movie.
Posts: 62
Threads: 260
Joined: Jan 2004
So, if I wrote a novella about zombies, would anyone read it?
/pretty much only slightly on topic
Posts: 80
Threads: 680
Joined: Dec 2002
Almost certainly.
"It's on my brain, driving me insane. It's on my mind, all of
the time, and if it left... I would be fine."
Posts: 32
Threads: 303
Joined: May 2006
The Game by Neil Strauss. Best, book, ever.
Does honesty earn respect or inspire revenge? Is it smarter to attack the strong or annihilate the weak?
Posts: 115
Threads: 680
Joined: May 2003
Sage Wrote:So, if I wrote a novella about zombies, would anyone read it?
/pretty much only slightly on topic
As long as the protaganist group includes an American, a Candan, an Aussie and a Brit.
Posts: 54
Threads: 182
Joined: Apr 2008
Sage Wrote:So, if I wrote a novella about zombies, would anyone read it?
/pretty much only slightly on topic Zombies are close to my heart.
Pretty-fricking-definitely.
Posts: 5
Threads: 61
Joined: Oct 2008
03-21-2010, 05:36 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2010, 05:45 AM by Cain.)
Sage Wrote:So, if I wrote a novella about zombies, would anyone read it?
/pretty much only slightly on topic
Yes. The poem was wonderful.
Edit: There's a book out called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. 'It's basically Pride and Prejudice with zombies,' as a friend put it, 'adhering to the original pride and prejudice writing style.' The author's listed are Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.
![[Image: Cain.jpg]](http://rebecca.florizone.com/sig/miscsig/Cain.jpg)
"No man is an island." - John Donne
Posts: 32
Threads: 303
Joined: May 2006
Sage Wrote:So, if I wrote a novella about zombies, would anyone read it?
/pretty much only slightly on topic
No.
Does honesty earn respect or inspire revenge? Is it smarter to attack the strong or annihilate the weak?
Posts: 1
Threads: 101
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Threads: 101
Joined: Apr 2007
i either need to start looking at thread titles more closely or stop drinking when im online
Posts: 1
Threads: 234
Joined: Feb 2004
Suddenly everything makes so much more sense.
Also: Read Kahil Gibran's The Prophet. Not as good as I was lead to believe.
When in doubt: It was sarcasm.
Posts: 101
Threads: 407
Joined: Nov 2001
Xenia Wrote:The Game by Neil Strauss. Best, book, ever.
I 100% support this. I love that book.
I am currently reading The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. It's about finding enjoyment in what you do, no matter what it is that you do.
|